The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmu or lifetype? (11 posts)

1. Prophecy
    Posted 17 years ago #

As many other I have searched the net for a multi blog software. I have alwasy be told that wordpress is the must have blog software. So it is nice to see that it is now possible to have a version (wpmu) with the options to make a blog community. But I have also read alot of topics in this forum about the missing af some features e.g. users can't edit themes etc.

I have also been looking at Lifetype -> http://www.lifetype.net/ a free multi blog solution, just like wpmu. But with some the features missing in wpmu. As things are now...I am going to choose either wpmu or lifetype. So I really like to know...who don't you use lifetype and why is wpmu better then lifetype. And it what aspekts are wpmu better then lifetype, and the other way around.

Cheers
    Prophecy

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Never heard of lifetype before. Why not just try both and see which one you like?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just from glancing quickly over their site: I'd only choose the other one if I wanted a fixed code base, the options they have, and I didn't care for tons of themes.
    But, I'm sticking with MU because I know the whole code better (from WP), and I can quickly add-on (via plugins) whatever functionality I want.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lifetype doesn't look too bad.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that's what I was thinking. If someone just wanted to whip up a multi-blogging site, maybe for light use, and didn't want to muck aroudn in any code, it looks pretty promising.

6. Prophecy
    Posted 17 years ago #

First of all...thanks to all for their replies.

Lifetype looks good...no doubt about that. I know that lifetype don't have alot of themes. But there is a plug in that will give the users the options to edit the themes. One of the things I think wpmu is missing. I really don't know what it is but somehow the "style" of wpmu is more "clear". I have seen some blogs of lifetype where the page looks real bad. But a blog community like this -> http://www.gamertagblog.com/ looks good.

I guess if I choose wpmu I have to do alot of editing or what? I guess in the long run wpmu would be the best. Since wordpress itself is big. And there is a big community. It is really hard....

Cheers
    Prophecy

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

As to themes, That's a pretty healthy list they're got.

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, if the developers keep at it LifeType might actually give wpmu a run for it's money.

*Most* of the people who come through here asking about WPMU just need it for a simple blog site and LifeType might actually be a more suitable choice for those users.

I haven't tried it yet but it appears that LifeType also has built in albums and global categories.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I poked around the demo backend and it looks like what would happen if MT and WP had babies. :) Cool, good for a light user. Most cool feature is you can control more than one blog one more than one domain. Duuuuude. Sweet.
    Uses the Smarty templating system, and says they'll strip out potential malicious code from users editing themes.

Hmm. If I ever fell out of love with WP, this would probably be my second choice (other than the husband coding something for me).

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just checked out the demo. Niiiiice. I also noticed it to be a bit zippier (faster loads) than wpmu. No, it's not just a faster server. I've installed WPMU locally enough times to know how fast it can be.

Also, after poking around a bit, i've come to the conclusion that the wp admin panel is in dire need of a layout overhaul. While it's very functional, it's just not very sleek.

11. cfrazier
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's interesting. It's the little things that pop, like breadcrumbs in the admin (in a UI like this, a must), built-in file browser / management, clean post page (they don't need roll-up options at this point). I could easily see this as a great tool for a few people wanting to host multiple blogs from a single installation for friends and family. I wonder about a large hosting service, though.

Did anyone install it to try out multiblog features?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Prophecy
  • Latest reply from cfrazier