The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress.com and WordPress mu (14 posts)

1. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

WordPress.com has a placeholder page up and the servers have arrived at the data centre.

What does WordPress.com mean for Wordpress mu?

2. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

wordpress.com uses WPMU!

4. Smoothie
    Posted 18 years ago #

Congrats donncha :P

5. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

> wordpress.com uses WPMU!

Yes, that's what I learned from looking around a bit after posting the initial question -- and congratulations indeed!

Yet there's something I've been trying to figure out for a while. WordPress MU seems to be a one man show: as far as I can tell there's only you working on it, only you answering questions about it here on the forum. Yet, judging from the WP_Hackers list, and the development pace quite generally, there's quite a bunch of developers working on WordPress. Why aren't they putting more effort into WPMU?

Here's what I don't understand: on the one hand there's a sense that WPMU isn't ready for the big time, yet on the other hand I also get this sense that WordPress.com is going to aim high and take a big bite out of TypePad and Blogger's business. Why aren't you getting more help from the main branch devs?

6. lucid1
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Matt answered one of my questions once on this board.

7. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

Lack of interest. I posted questions and comments to IRC, or to the hackers mailing list, to my own blog, to this blog several times that hardly gained a response. :(
    They can work on what they like and interests them.. that's what doing volunteer work is all about.

8. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I see.

Matt.wordpress.com isn't saying anything about pricing. Are there going to be free accounts?

Also: I'm sure they aren't going to pull a Gmail and keep the invite-only system going indefinitely. Any word on when WordPress.com is going to launch?

9. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Oh -- and does WordPress.com offer any features beyond WPMU?

10. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

We're launched, but it'll probably be in the invite-only stage for a good while. There will probably be some code that's dotcom specific someday, but all major features and core code improvements are open source and freely available.

11. ark
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks, Matt. I still don't see how that's going to cover those Dell boxes in San Diego, but I trust you've got that worked out.

And if you are going to blow Typepad and Blogger out of the water, make sure you first send Cap'n Donncha some coding mateys, will ya?

12. ozgreg
    Posted 18 years ago #

Actually Donncha it was your posting in the Hackers that made me think about the possibility of community based MU site with Gallery2 so in my case your posting was way worth it!! :-)

13. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

oh! Glad it inspired someone! It'll be great to see a community based gallery site.
    Flickr has a lot of good ideas and I think even standard WPMU can learn a lot from what they've done there to get a "community feeling".

14. ozgreg
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yahoo has been very good at creating communities however the Ad content and lately the strict rules are creating a negative effect. What I am working on is a way to create a community using the off the shelf open source products and I am fairly certain thanks to a large part to the MU project that this concept is possible

About this Topic