The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using DynDNS and subdomains (7 posts)

1. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,
    I have a wordpress site that is running on my machine using DynDNS. I can access the site fine, but I want to know how I can use subdomains using this setup. I installed it using the subdomain option, but when I create a subdomained blog, it just returns me to the index page of the entire site. Is this a restriction of DynDNS? Is there anyway to get this to work using a dynamic IP? Do I have to configure something? Thanks for your help!

Ryan

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't know how you need to do it on your setup, but yes, for subdomains you DO have to configure it to accept wildcards for the subdomains.

3. drew3000
    Posted 16 years ago #

I apologize for not being able to follow this. I am also tryingto use subdomains. I have wpmu itself set up on a subdomain: v2.sitename.net That one works. But when I try to ad a blog it WPMU creates this: bookitty.v2.sitename.net. When I try to visit bookitty.v2.sitename.net, I get the website that is located at sitename.net.

Is this a wildcard type issue? Where and what specifically do I need to add? There is one apache area to add things to called "Apache Handlers" in the control panel. Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks in advance.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

You may want to take a few minutes and read the readme file and the article that it links to as it discusses what specifically you need to change to get wildcards working for DNS and Apache.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"But when I try to ad a blog it WPMU creates this: bookitty.v2.sitename.net. "

Yep. That's correct because MU is installed in v2.sitename.net.

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I think drew is commenting that when he tries to access that bookkitty site, he or she is getting redirected back to the home URL.

7. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can use Dyndns, you just have to check the set wildcard box for that name address, then setup everything else as in the wpmu Readme. I have my test site setup this way. No problems at all. So if you have the wildcard set in your dyndns, and the problem persists, then the problem is somewhere else in your setup.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Rubyducky
  • Latest reply from jalien