The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Emergency help: WP transferral problem (2 posts)

1. duckster
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, I had my WP blog on another server and am transferring it to a new server. I need it up and running on the new one before I shut the other one down.

I've copied all files over.
    I've created and uploaded the database.

I cannot get to the wp-admin panel, though. When I type in domain.com/wp-admin the browser acts like it's not even there, although I can see it there in the FTP client.

I'd be willing to pay someone to do this for me today if anyone wants to take me up on it...

Jeff

2. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Here's what I did. Copy all the "flat" files but create a new database from scratch first just to get the kinks out of the php files first. Get your site working first, themes, plugins etc, the config file, htaccess etc etc etc. Save moving the database till later.

When you know you site works with a new database, its easier to eliminate causes of errors later when you copy the old database over.

While the old database is on your desktop open it in your favorite text editor and search and replace your old url with the new one. Replace domain name, urls, anything you can think of that will link back to your old url and path.

I used phpmyadmin: delete the tables from new small database and load tables from the old big one. Be sure wp-config hits the db with the correct prefixes etc.

Site should be usable.

Then with phpmyadmin, search and destroy rows that look like rss_ cache or flickr cache.(try one blog at time till you are comfortable with what you are deleting.)

About this Topic