The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU, bbpress and 2nd database (19 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Has anyone managed to hook up bbpress and MU using seperate databases?

If so, care to share? Would also barter work in return for help.

(I can get them hooked up in the same database; I just want them in seperate ones.)

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

You're husband could probably do it if he has the time. All it would require is adding a second set of db information to bb-config.php and then modifying db.php to send any db requests for the user tables to the second database.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, you are so right. :) The driving 600 miles back and forth every weekend is what interferes with that though. :-/

"and then modifying db.php to send any db requests for the user tables to the second database"

AHA! Probably the hint I needed. :) Thnx.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Your husband?"

Kind of sexist remark if you ask me....

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea has mentioned several times that her husband is very knowledgable when it comes to PHP working with MySQL and I figured that if she was stuck he might be able to help. It wasn't meant to be "sexist", but if it came off that way, I apologise. :(

6. mozey
    Posted 17 years ago #

hehehe, so when i ask ms right to by my wife, i should say,
    "i dont mean to be a sexist, but will you marry me?"
    Pardon a little pun,,

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Heck, if you look at current traditions, a good 75% of them could in some way be considered sexist.

It's sort of a catch 22 with some things. For instance, people argue that a man asking a woman to marry him is sexist. However, if you look at surveys and statistics you'll find that around 60% (depending on the survey) of women like the idea of a man asking her to marry him because it's "romantic" and do not consider it to be sexist.

Personally, if I were ever in a position to ask a woman to marry me and she beat me to it, i'd be just as happy.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey, where'd my reply go??

And FWIW, I didn't take it sexit AT ALL.

Andrew was right on the money - only problem being, as in my unposted reply, my husband (the guy I married, currently working in another city as a Senior Systems Analyst trying to optimize an absolutely HUGE database using SQL Server, for a large trucking company) is quite knowledgeable, but he also makes a 600 mile round trip every weeked. Which means his brain is quite fried, or he's busy, or he's working or driving when I'm trying to figure out stuff.

Yeah, little touchy today - he left at 6am for the week. :( Some weekend we wade through code together, but not lately. Too busy rebuilding the kitchen.

And I asked him to marry me, the slowpoke. Then we had geek babies and lived happy ever after, making hex and binary jokes over the dinner table. Doh, and there's my reply. Need more caffiene. :P :D

9. mozey
    Posted 17 years ago #

"making hex and binary jokes over the dinner table." LOL, :)

my GF calls at 3:14 at work to wish me happy Pi,

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Heh. :D (My son just met a girl who has Pi memorized to 31 places. He says she's perfect.)

And I'm thinking Andrew probably said "your husband" because I never refer to him by name. Ooops. So it was more a way of saying "Wouldn't Ron_R know?"

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

just ot get back on track: I am getting somewhere with this issue. Everything is *in* bbpress to handle looking in another database, including the if/then to check and see if it's been declared (it is), it's just ignoring it for some reason, and continuing to look in the bbpress db instead of the wpmu one.

Yes, I posted on the bbpress forums as well. :)

12. mozey
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea, if you managed to make them both share the same session, please post your reply. I"m stuck with having to login to both platforms.

13. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just do this, it worked on my first try (2 db), but I don't have shared cookies working though

Add these lines below the database stuff in config.php
    define('USER_BBDB_NAME', 'wpmu_database_name');
    define('USER_BBDB_USER', 'wpmu_database_user');
    define('USER_BBDB_PASSWORD', 'wpmu_user_password');
    define('USER_BBDB_HOST', 'localhost');

I can logon this way as any user from wpmu, but haven't looked past that yet.

PS I did this before a fresh install and got a warning about the userdatabases already existing.

And... these constants are taken into account on lines 41 - 53 of bb-includes/db.php if you're interested.

14. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

oh, I see you've already tried this at bbpress forums...

15. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, I dunno what's going on with it. I don't want to try it on my live install yet in case something goes horribly wrong. Something is up with my local setup, I think, and when I tried to install a copy of MU (rc4) in a subdirectory on another domain of mine, it completly borked right out of the box, so I gave up for the day.

Although I do have a fresh understanding of many of the posts recounting MU install problems...

My luck, when I do try it on my production, it will work right off. :-/

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm staying away from the bbpress forums. I have enough titles under my name on Automattic sites. :)

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah, you're *everywhere*. :D

18. jammed
    Posted 17 years ago #

How have you managed to put them both on the same database? Thanks.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from andrea_r