The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Stats Recommendation (22 posts)

1. supor1t
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm looking for a recommendation on what a good WPMU stats plugin. It only needs to provide basic stats to individual users about their individual blog.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I hate to be a pain but have you done a search for stats? The topic has been discussed many times in the past.

3. supor1t
    Posted 17 years ago #

No pain. I was rather hoping that someone who has experience with the different options would make a recommendation since I have experience with none. Based on my reading so far I would guess that wp-shortstats is the way to go.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's what I use but I have placed the table creation bit in the blog creation function within wp-includes/wpmu-settings.php. (I think that's the name of the file.) I couldn't never get the tavbles to be created automatically.

5. supor1t
    Posted 17 years ago #

It took some effort, but I've got it working and am pleased with the results. I needed to alter the way the db was setup to get the tables automatically created. Thank you for the recommendation.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

is this still the recommended stas plugin for wpmu? is there a mod available for wpmu?

7. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use slimstats, seems excellent with a wealth of info.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

which slimstats? as far as I remember ther were 2 versions flaoting around...

btw. I just found this mod of slimstats: http://082net.com/tag/wp-slimstat-ex/

anyone tested that on wpmu?
    did you have to modify the version you are using for wpmu or is it working out of the box?

oh and btw. this mod I found has some nice features, I'll give it a try on my blog and post back how it works.

9. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

The one i'm using is http://www.duechiacchiere.it/wp-slimstat/ and as i recall i don't think i modified it at all. It works perfectly and is a really nice stats program.

The modded one you posted the link to looks good but i think may be overkill for what i need. The more queries the worse its going to lag i suspect.

But please do report back your findings as its certainly something to consider.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

How much does it eat resource-wise, Diz?

Seems like it might eat a fair bit, especially if it makes images on the fly.

11. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Its quite resource hungry in a way with establishing 2 database tables per blog.

However with a bit of coding alterations (i haven't had time to look properly) one of these could be dropped for a global table as it is the ip to countries table which contains 65,290 records.

This wouldn't change between blogs so a more global approach for MU would be best. I doubt its that hard.

The other table is the actual stats and this is currently running to a little under 157 records for my landing site (the main site).

As regards physical resource, i.e. memory footprint and cpu cycles i have no clue at this stage until i get my VPS. But it seems pretty instant and i haven't noticed any major impacts.

But this version doesn't use GD or infact create any graphs or images so is lighter than most so i'm pretty happy with it so far.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, it sounds better than most out of the box then.

Switching the ip->country table to global would be pretty easy, really. Would have to just take out the table_prefix var for it and either use a custom var that could be set in the header, or hard code it for personal use.

I've been debating a stats plugin for a while now, but still not sure if I'm ready to eat up the overhead with it.

Additional tables are a concern, as always, but you do what you gotta do. I'm not sure what my bigger concern is with extra tables though. Cluttering up the DB, or not being deleted when a blog is deleted. Guess I'll have to add that to the list of things to look at.

13. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes i thought s simple solution would be to hardcode to be honest. My skils arn't such that i could implement that from the box for everyone but hardcoding should be very simple for my own use.

Of all the stats programs i tried, including firestats, this had the most functionality, least footprint and above all best reporting. So thats why i ended up sticking to this and removing the rest.

I did toy with just offering google stats to each blog member but prefer a more inhouse solution for that professional feel.

I understand your concerns about clutter in the database but for such big plugins as this its pretty unavoidable not having a separate database. Sure we could lump it into something else but its still there and at least this way you know exactly WHERE it is :)

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've been meaning to do a Google Stats plugin. Had a few requests for it.

15. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do you mean google Analytical ? Because there's a few plugins out for that as i recall.

Never tried them myself though.

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

IIRC, most of them didn't work on WPMu to allow them to be used for individual end users.

17. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I offer an analytics plugin to users that works just fine - happy to share it (although am not sure how it might interfere with overall analytics site mapping)

18. frozonecold
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey Farms, could you share yours please?

BTW: What features do these plugins have, I want to compare them?

19. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been using Short Stat and I just realised that the stats seem to be site-wide and not per-blog.

Is slimstat per-blog?

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

no-no
    the short stat version being used and discussed in several posts around this forum is definitely per blog.

21. conpeo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ovidiu, I wonder how wp-slimstat-ex work? :(
    http://082net.com/tag/wp-slimstat-ex/

it include en version. but not support WPMU so far.
    so surprise it is advance feature base on slim-stat & wp-slimstat. i like it.

I enable the function for main blog, but it does not create new table for main blog to capture info.

should it create db manually ?**?

22. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

FireStats now supports WPMU properly.
    See this:
    http://firestats.cc/wiki/WPMU

About this Topic