The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Taking requests: admin blog theme (home page) (24 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm working on an MU theme for public release, for the main blog and home page. (Note: this isn't a theme for the backend, just to clarify.)

So far I've included:
    - latest news (main blog posts)
    - last 10 updated blogs
    - signup link
    - login/logout area
    - most active blogs
    - newest ten blogs
    - horizontal nav bar of main blog's Pages. (About etc...)
    - widgetized sidebar for main blog (NOT on the home page)
    - footer automagically detects MU and version number

I just have a few internal tweaks and some testing to do, possibly add an options page, add classes to the signup page looks right, otherwise it should be done in a couple weeks. And it's blue, but a nice blue. :D Two column, no graphics, very monochrome. I may add a "change color scheme" option, but it would take longer. :)

Anything I forgot or that anyone would like to see included? Anyone wanna test it, try and break it, look for bugs?

2. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

for testing, we need it, or at least a place to look at...

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah, when I get to that point. :)

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

<whine>But we want it now!!!!</whine>

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I vote against the MU and version number. You may have noticed that this 'feature' was removed from phpNuke and phpBB awhile back. That's because that's how hackers searched for broken versions of the software. While I do hope that Donncha will never leave us hanging out to dry if there's ever an issue, it's commonly known around here that some folks do get a bit behind on updating their software. I would hate to see someone's site hacked because of this.

Just a thought,
    -drmike

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ah, good idea.... is that why that version tag isn't used much?

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Probably. There are still softwares out there that do display them though. VBulliten and invision comes to mind.

Gotta admit that I'm really iffy even having it in the meta tags like it is.

8. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh.. Andrea.. Andrea.. can I test it.. test it ? ?

I have widgetized list_all from Andrew Billits
    so that the user can enter values for LIMIT, DISPLAY [name, url]. Another drag & drop widget.

9. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

To add:

1) Latest posts [even if one post per updated blog] with content summary. Would be awsome, if there is an option to set how many posts to display the summary and how many to just the title [like the Subtle theme]

2) Oh may be a small box.. where an AD or major announcement or just tag line could go somewhere in the page

I have just started bulding WPMU blogging site at
    http://adadaa.com/ [you wouldn't probably understand what's written [its in Tamil] but you see what I'm getting at]

But have to tell you about the Latest Posts bugs
    Your [Andrea] ah_recent_posts displays recent posts grouped by blogs. what I mean is if 3 blogs posted 5 posts not in order, the ah_recent_posts will display all posts from blog 1, then all posts from blog 2, then all posts from blog 3. what I am trying to say is it doesn't list as it was posted.

Andrew Billits's list_all_posts list one post per updated blog, but doesn't link the title to the actual post [this is already been talked enough I guess]!

10. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

how about adding Recent Comments for all blogs?

11. kprimdal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there other who have done what Andrea_r i doing and making theme for MU ?

And was is the horisont for this theme Andrea_r ?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

You can poke around a bit here:
    http://testing.homeschooljournal.net

It's kinda messy though.

13. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea,

How do you get the permalink for each posts? As I told you already GUID is not always correct.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

On the main page I use the_permalink() to show the site news. I always base my themes off a modified and stripped down version of the Classic theme (not Kubrick, the other one in the default installs).

Is that what you mean?

15. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, your "Recently updated:" has post titles, which link to permalink.

How did you get the permalink for those titles?

I'm looking for the function "the_permalink" all over wpmu directoy but I couldn't find it.

16. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh I found out how to get permalink to posts.
    see
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2559&replies=1

17. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I looked at the section you talked about (recent entries) and it does use the GUID.
    But glad to see you found another way.

18. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea,

is there a Recent Comments for a site wide, like the Latest Posts?

I came up with the latest posts and not only one posts per blog but as many as new. So top 10 overall sitewide!

I'll post the code when I've cleaned it up, probably Nov 27.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Shouldn't be hard to add most recent comments.

Also, the Sitewide feed plugin pulls the comments feed for all blogs too.

20. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, I actually started on a basic theme for MU Home myself a while back (2 - 3 weeks maybe), I haven't been around here much lately so I haven't seen this before.

andrea, would you be interested in blending those two projects together? I mean; two brains messes up more than one, or something like that.. ;-)

I haven't got any far, just did some basic things like adding the login box (cleaning up the code a bit) and news/ updated blogs.

And I got rid of home.php and instead created a homepage.php using wpmu's choice to add a page on front and (news)blogposts on another. Which means you don't need to edit the actual file when you want to change something on the homepage.

I was thinking of creating a contact form template and a search mainblog (or googlesearch?) template as well.

I have for some strange reasons picked the same blue colors for my theme as you have, but it's more minimalistic and messy as it's based on a Norwegian theme I created for another site.
    Demo: http://kzkw.fwwhost.net/

21. gestor
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd love this:

That 'last updated posts' were, in fact, 'recent posts =! hello world', and that we could show a summary of the post (yes, I know that the sitewide feeds does this, but I use directories instead of subdomains, and can't place the content in my main page).

Last comments.

Randomly selected blog (maybe out of the top 50-100 most active) to use as a 'today's (or this week, etc) featured blog'.

Newest blogs that have added an entry other than 'hello world'.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, the code I have in there should skip the hello world ones. Exerpts, yes, grand idea.

I like the random idea too.

KKWangen - cool. :D How about we both work on our own this time, giving the community an actual choice? And then after feedback from both we can work on one then maybe? (Also I am monstrously busy at the moment.)

23. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey guys,

I really like this advanced search feature for WP
    http://www.contutto.com/software/wordpress-advanced-search/

may be if you guys can make it WPMU then could use it?

24. KKWangen
    Posted 17 years ago #

Okay, Andrea - Anyway, I'm adding some other colours to mine, so it don't become two blue's.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from KKWangen