The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Wordpress MU Hosting at Mabobo (18 posts)

1. Mabobo
    Posted 17 years ago #

A new Wordpress MU setup is available at: http://mabobo.com/sites/.

2. Mabobo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any feedback regarding this website would be most helpful. Cheers.

3. jdcoffman
    Posted 17 years ago #

would you or someone else be willing to help me create a front-page like that? I'm just not that advanced yet.

:-) It looks nice though!

4. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Although adsense on the main page would result in clicks, it's better to get them to create a blog and then you have a clicker/customer/user who is much more permanent.

So I suggest removing them from the main page.

5. Mabobo
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've recently added a few extra features "radio" and "featured blog of the month". What do people think? Would love a bit of feedback...

I had to hard code the "featured blog for the month" section but does anyone have code to help with the job? I used the code here: http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/ but it didn't work!

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I've been asking for input on how to judge a Featured blog although I'm running mine every hour:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=4007

Check out http://daria.be to see what I'm doing.

So glad you mentioned that you were programing a top blogs/post plugin. We've been working on something simular here in the forums. Would be nice not to dupe people's work.

7. runnersblogs
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey drmike...could you describe how you've approached creating your "front" page? Is that a series of plugins? If so, which? I'm starting a wordpress farm for runners, and would like to understand the "core" approach you've taken, as your site largely mimics the direction we'd like to go in. Thanks in advance!

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I talk about it some in that thread I link to. I've got to release teh code but need to find the time to finish it up as well as work out a way to get top posts listed.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you considered looking at some regular WP top posts plugins to see how they did it? just to get ideas? :D

10. runnersblogs
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, andrea, I have, and I'm currently tooling around with some plugins to see where I end up. Thanks for the heads up!

Gino

11. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey Mabobo... what didn't work for you with my code... let me know and I'll try to fix it.

I can't have people just saying "I tried his code and it didn't work."

Give me a chance to clear my name man.

Tell me the problem, I'll work with you.

12. Mabobo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Zappoman

I uploaded plugin, tried both examples of code (as outlined on your website) and tested the site. No display for either examples of code. Deactivated plugin and then reinstalled but no good. Page displayed normally - just not section for posts. Sorry. Great idea - just didn't work for me. Maybe I am using wrong version of MU?

13. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, if you used exactly the steps you just described, then it wouldn't show anything because there hadn't been any traffic yet. The plugin has to collect information about which posts are being viewed.

Have you tried:

1) Install plugin
    2) Install display/html code on some page (like a home page)
    3) Visit several pages
    4) View home page and see that list is changing.
    5) repeat 3-4

What display are you seeing? Nothing at all? Or Just not what you expected?

14. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

definitely your plugin works and your name is still good in my books zappo ;)

I would suggest to anyone that after installing your plugin they check their database first t osee if the data is being populated or not.

15. Mabobo
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Zappoman

I've not suggested in any of my posts that that your plugin is bad or faulty and your name is still in my good books - it just didn't work for me. I tried your steps 1 through to 5 but nothing was displaying on the page I placed the code on (index/home). The database was being populated. I'm fairly experienced with php, mysql. Could I have copied the file to the server incorrectly I wonder?

16. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Mabobo...

Can you send me your php I'd be curious to see the if the problem reproduces for me... bradh at snapbag dot com

Here's the one caveat I'd add... some of the template functions depend on globals that I hadn't totally figured out at the time that I wrote this plugin... so it could be related to that...

One more time, here's a really simple version of the code I use to display top posts...

$top_posts = zap_get_top_posts();
    $html="<ul>";
    foreach($top_posts as $post)
    {
        $html.="
    <li><a>guid."' title='".$post->guid."'>".get_the_title()."</a></li>";
    }
    $html.="</ul>";
    echo $html;

17. Mabobo
    Posted 16 years ago #

A question to Zappoman? Do I need to activate the plugin globally across the whole website for it to work?

18. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

The plugin should be installed in your mu-plugins folder. And if so, it will be active for all blogs automatically.

I am not sure what it would do if you put it in plugins and tried to activate it for individual blogs...

About this Topic