The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU-Version of K2 (57 posts)

1. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

did anyone of you yet come across a wpmu version of K2? I think a bit of a lightweight version without that much AJAX and JS and without UTW-Support and stuff would be better for WPMU. I love the customization possibilities of K2 with the different styles and header images. Probably they also need some customizing for MU?

2. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Make lightweight,? No way. My favorite themes are K2-ish.

I use a TripleK2 with a variety of styles, and the "display"-->headers.php file
    path changed to $path = '/home/myspace/public_html/myblog/wp-content/blogs.dir/' . $blog_id . '/files/';

Custom headers come from the users folder rather than the theme folder, now.
    (I don't UTW, though)

If you had an older womu install with the wp-inst directory, a bunch of files needed new paths, now none.

3. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks dsader. I already did the header mod.

Do you have a source for further k2 styles? didn't find too much yet.

Thanks.

4. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

5. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks, dsader - highly appreciated.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks dsader - was also looking for more K2 styles. :)

7. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Good job, will look into this tomorrow morning!

8. ArieJansen
    Posted 17 years ago #

<quote> I use a TripleK2 with a variety of styles, and the "display"-->headers.php file
    path changed to $path = '/home/myspace/public_html/myblog/wp-content/blogs.dir/' . $blog_id . '/files/'; </quote>

Hi,

Do you mean the "display"header.php file in the K2 pakkage, or in the TripleK2 pakkage.
    If its the file in TripleK2 header.php? please tel me the linenumber in that file.

Excuse the language becose my englisch not so good (Dutch)

9. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Using the path fix above the jpg files are being uploaded to the correct folder, but the image is still not being displayed. Does anyone have any tips for how to make this work?

Thanks.

10. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman, you might need to tweak the dynamic css file (actually a php one) and check the image path.
    I've personally indeed made K2 lighter by simplifying / removing some of the admin parts (not custom header of course), I'm just including the them multiple times with different K2 styles and presenting them as different themes to my users. This way they get the preview in the themes tab.

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmmm...i searched for a dynamic css/php file, but outside of the header.php file referenced above, I found little success in locating where the code to display the header was called.

If someone could tell me the specific file name they used, or alternatively upload their modded K2 theme folder, I would be much obliged.

Thanks

12. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

actually, the css for the custom header in in that same file, at the bottom ( function change_hpicture ) .

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Found it. Thanks.

To others following this thread, try changing:

url('.get_bloginfo('template_url').'/images/headers/'.$picture.')

To:

$pic = 'background: url('.get_bloginfo('url').'/files/'.$picture.')

14. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having a small issue with the K2 header mod we've come up with.

When a user goes to upload a new header, it goes to their "/files/" directory. This is a potential problem, because all the images that user ever uploads are located inside the /files/ directory.

This becomes a problem when a user opts for the Random Header option, because both their uploaded header images and their post images display in the same directory.

I'm wondering whether re-writing the code to include a header subfolder would work. The reason i'm thinking that it won't is because the directory "files" is auto created with each new blog but "/files/headers/" isn't.

Any ideas?

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a very serious issue with these K2 themes.

I had widgets.php inside mu-plugins so users only have to activate extra widgets to make use of them, but when user selects a K2 based theme and had previously activated and used widgets, he will get an error about sbm module plugin that seems to be used by triplek2 because that plugin conflicts with the widgets.php plugin.

Did anyone encounter theses problems and how did you solve it?

16. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have to say I've given up on K2 for WPMU - much as I love the theme it's not worth the pain.

17. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

well i think it's worth the pain. I'm reusing its options page on nearly all new themes I'm adding as a wa to customize the header.
    Once you get K2 to work you:
    - Can add easily many themes to your themes DB via the K2 "styles". Just a new CSS -> New theme. Especially if you have to translate themes and customize theme a bit (footer, ads, avatars) before rolling them out, this is a real time saver.
    - Can reuse its header option in nearly any theme with an image header to make it configurable, just by droping the file in the theme and messing a bit with the CSS classes that are manipulated by the dynamic header mechanism.

18. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't have 3 column K2 though, neither do i know what sbm is, so i can't help ovidiu.

19. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

sbm plugin: http://nybblelabs.org.uk/projects/sidebar-modules/

Its a plugin ofering something similar to widgets, seems to have been there before widgets and is considered superior by some people.

After reading on tripleK2's page what I understand is that this theme is using the sidebar modules, and sbm plugin does conflict with activated widgets plugin...

can you name some K2 based themes and / or styles you are using? would you mind sharing a few already modified ones?

20. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

why not just re-write the sidebar code to use widgets instead of the sbm?

Who cares if some people think it's superior. We're running MU right? We should be concerned about standards not superiority.

21. ruigato
    Posted 17 years ago #

i am having problems with k2 (dowloaded from wpmudev.org)

live search and regular search isnt working

does anyone has a fix for this?

i am using mu in subdirectories
    thanks

22. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've edited the livesearch.php and written the correct path for my install:

require("/home/USERNAME/public_html/DOMAIN/wp-blog-header.php");

Several k2 files need the paths written.

23. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

After I had problems with the latest K2 downloaded from the original site, I ended up with 3K2 a 2-sidebars version and found several styles for it so I am happy now...though it does not support header file upload, nor changes to it :-(

24. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Several k2 files need the paths written."

Gee, from looking through the K2 files using ABSPATH would seem like an effort. lol

25. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

lunabyte, I use the userthemes.php plugin which copies a theme and moves it into a blogs.dir/themes folder for each user. ABSPATH doesn't work in my installed K2 themes since the path to the theme differs from user to user.

26. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

There is a defined constant for the files directory of each user as well. Can't remember it off the top of my head at the moment, but but that would get you in the door.

27. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd then need an "if usertheme then blogs dir path else system theme" for each occurance of an ABSPATH. I couldn't get my mind around how to do that.

The trouble in K2 was not finding a file in the users theme folder only the paths back from those files to a core file such as blog-header.php. The K2 method of "../../../file.php" doesn't do the trick.

28. spikeyslam
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm working on adding support for WPMU. We should be fully compatible with WPMU 1.1 by the time K2 reaches 1.0. Here's what I have in mind: when in WPMU, K2 will use a "k2support" folder in the files folder. If the folder doesn't exist, it will be auto-created. Within that folder will be "styles" and "headers".

29. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's bloody great news, mucho appreciated.. I cannae wait :)

30. Gauravonomics
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I'm getting this error when I'm using K2 0.95 with WPMU 1.2.1:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'GROUP BY year(post_date), month(post_date), dayofmonth(post_date)' at line 1]
    SELECT DISTINCT post_date FROM GROUP BY year(post_date), month(post_date), dayofmonth(post_date)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by helmi
  • Latest reply from frozonecold