The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with daylight savings (19 posts)

1. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

My users have started reporting that their blogs are still in summertime (I'm in Denmark, so summer is UTC+2 and winter UTC+1) and some have even started configuring this themselves by changing 2 to 1 in their settings. But I was thinking if there is some way of doing this automatically? Maybe that would even allow me to remove those settings?

2. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

me too. Any solution appreciated.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've noticed the regular WP did this at one time. Didn't notice it this time around though and i'm not sure if it is affected by server settings or not.

I wouldn't want to remove it on my users, as they are from all kinds of time zones.

4. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    I don't know the exact solution but I would start looking in the upgrade option in the admin backend (wp-admin/wpmu-upgrade-site.php).

What the upgrade option does is loop over all blogs and call some upgrade functions. I would guess that if you hack these files to change the offset time option you can fix this problem.

Hope this helps...

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

well, a good solution would have WP work right away with DST. I mean without having to tweak DB. My server changed time, how come wordpress doesn't rely on it ?

6. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ditto quenting, my server has also changed time. Would be ok about using a tweak this time, I'm just not skilled enough in PHP to do it myself. Has anyone figured it out?

Thanks a lot!

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's nothing that WPMU or your server can do about it. Your users are going to change their time settings themselves. Each country uses their own rules for time changes and many countries have different changes within those countries. Heck, here in the States, we have cities and counties that follow their own rules within states that follow their own rules within a country that follows it;s own rules. Lots of fun. :)

That's one of the reasons why most internet servers run on UTC time which doesn't change.

*chuckle* And then Bush is changing what was accepted years ago next year. *ALL* of the US computers are going to have to be changed at the BIOS level. :(

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

Someone please vote the republicians out of office this year. PLEASE! :)

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank god someone finally agrees with on bush.

As for the time issue, UTC is the way to go.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Please yes, Americans, Bush makes your northerly neighbours quite nervous.

10. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree on the bush part. But all my users are danish, so I really can't see one good argument why they should be able to change the time settings. Is there no way of doing this globally?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not without hacking.

12. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hacking is not that big a problem. I could easily remove the time settings field, but I don't see how I can set this globally? As far as I understand these settings are stored in each blog's table - right?

13. josswinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just wanted to check... is it still down to each user to change the time of their blogs when daylight saving kicks in? Is there no way for me to do it site-wide? Thanks.

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes there is but there's no way to tell which of your blogs and users are affected. Daylight savings is different in many different places on the planet. Also some users may have already made the change or have their blog clocks set to UTF time instead of their local.

15. josswinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's not an issue for me. All my users attend the university where I run the site and live in the BST timezone. What's the solution?

Thanks!

16. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

josswinn,
    Install PowerTools and execute
    update_blog_option( $blog_id, 'gmt_offset', -4);

Change "-4" to whatever you need.

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

BST?

I'm in AST. I'm gonna have to look up B. :D

18. josswinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

BST: British Summer Time. Seriously! :-)

http://bit.ly/Yrm3O

We've just switched from BST to GMT.

Thanks, dsader.

19. jimgroom
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader & @josswinn

I keep bumping in to you two! Thanks for this timezone fix, we appreciate over here at UMW Blogs ;)

I'm trying it on a site with multiple databases, and it looks like it is hanging when I put the code in above with out the close ?>

When I include the closing ?> after the code above I get the following parse error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/.../.../wp-content/mu-plugins/power-tools.php(157) : eval()'d code on line 10

Completed operation on 0 blogs.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by boetter
  • Latest reply from jimgroom