The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Wiki Site (26 posts)

1. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alright guys, as requested a wiki has been setup for WPMU. The new site is setup and ready to go. I chose mediawiki so that it would be compatible with the codex if they were to ever be merged.

Now, here's how it's going to work unless there are any MAJOR objections. First of all, as a disclaimer, I *WILL NOT* be acting as a daily administrator to this site (I just don't have the time). I will be appointing *two* individuals to serve as editors and I will just take care of the server, skin, etc.

Anonymous Visitors - will have almost no rights at all except 'read'

Users - Will be able to read, create, move, edit, upload etc.

Editors - All of the editor goodies (delete, block, etc) along with the standard user rights.

If you are interested in filling one of the two editor positions and you feel that you meet the general requirements below please post a reply to this thread within the next 48 hours. Please include a bit of info about yourself.
    Requirements:

• Have a decent amount of free time
    • Have previous experience managing a WIKI or other CMS
    • Be fluent in written english (Sorry but it's the default language around here)
    • **Must write well**

Basically i'm looking for two people who can set the bar on the kind of content that should be on the wiki. For instance, if my editors write about as well as a five year old, I can't expect much more from the standard users.

Now what I promise in return is little to no interference. The site will be all yours other than control of the theme. After the 48 hours are up, I will choose two individuals and email them the link to the site so that they may have a chance (about a week) to get everything organized before I publish the link here.

Alright, that's the end of my spill. Any takers?

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am sure MrJCleaver will jump on this.

He's been eyeing a nice MU Wiki site for ages ;)

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm hoping that a lot of people will be interested. Especially those that have been whining left and right for a wiki.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Mmmmm... possibly. It will save me repeating myself. :) The only thing I don't have is a reasonable amount of free time. It's more like "squeeze stuff in when I can" around here, for everything.

5. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am in the same situation as andrea. Well that and the fact that english isn't my mother tongue.

So i'd love to help out, just don't see myself qualified as an editor.

But I'm pretty sure there are someone out there. Mrjcleaver is good suggestion, what about drmike? Too busy?

Thanks for the initiative andrew!

6. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks from here also, andrew - great stuff.

I'm in the same situation than boetter. My english is too bad and i don't have really enough time left for an editor job. But i'll try to do my best contributing some stuff as a normal user.

7. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just for the record guys, I wasn't trying to be harsh via the requirements. It's just that if we're going to create a wiki, then I want it to be on the same level as the codex as far as quality is concerned.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

boetter and helmi - if you write it, I'll edit it. :) My English is so good it even comes with an accent.

(wow, that joke is so not funny in print... Just re-read it with a British accent, okay? :D )

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is a Boston accent close enough? :P

10. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, close enough. Pahk tha cahh in Hahhvahhd yahd, right? Actually, mine wavers from none, to English, to Maritime.

Anyway! Topics I thought of so far:
    - installing for Dummies
    - installing locally on Windows
    - Hints on picking themes for your users
    - default functions for site management
    - bbpress integration
    - how to use the forum effectively
    - Useful or suggested plugins (ie, top ten or so)

11. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've lived in the southern United States for a while but my boston accent still makes an appearance from time to time.

Anyway, I have yet to have anyone step forward. So, untill atleast one person agrees to be an editor i'm afraid the site will be of little use. I honestly just don't have the time myself. :(

I actually have another wpmu site in the works and i'll most likely be asking for help on that one also.

please excuse the typos in this post. I'm on a pda and the keyboard is not very "practical".

12. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd love to contribute, but really can't assign that much time to it. But why not try it out? Seems like andrea and helmi is interested aswell? :-)

13. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the email, and indeed, for setting up the wiki.

A wiki does work best when there is sufficient furniture and signpostage that others have somewhere comfortable to rest and some decent direction to move in.

If you open the wiki up to general contribution and ensure it is well visible (both here on the forums page, e.g. by a sticky and on wpmudev.org) e.g. as wiki.wpmudev.org which doesn't currently work, you should find that people distribute the load between them along with whatever piques their interest.

If you do that then I will move the content I put on Codex into wpmudev's wiki. That's not a bad start. I agree it also needs a champion, which although I would like to do, I can't commit to in the short-term, at least not unless the wordpress guys are willing to fund my time. (Gotta eat, and wiki consulting is what I do for a living.)

In due time I'd like to see these forums replaced by the wiki. The forums are a mess and no one with the inclination has the means to tidy them and no one with the means has the time.

Wikis allow the best collaborative self-organisation when the input capture (i.e. where conversation starts) is directed into the wiki. Otherwise people end up doing clean up yet not being able to delete the original content.

Regards,
    Martin.

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the input.

I know that I can advertise is pretty heavily on wpmudev but as far as a sticky, let's just say that it took months for someone to take a look at the forum search page only to tell us that it can't be fixed. I'll try emailing donncha but he's most likely not going to go for it because "it's not the codex".

That being said, I would still like at least two people helping me look after the site. So, andrea, helmi, and boetter. If you guys would be willing to help out then we can go ahead and get this thing started.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Okay, point me to it.

16. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://wpmuwiki.org

Obviously that's not the theme i'll be keeping but it'll have to do untill this weekend.

So basically, if you three want to head on over, signup, and give me your username i'll go ahead and bump you guys up to a higher role.

Now, the only page that i'm going to have protected is the frontpage and that's for obvious reasons.

17. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

Put me on board to help out. I have some rather old wpmu docs in my user account on the codex already, I can easily clean them up and update them (only the relevant stuff)
    http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Ergate/WPMU_Docs
    I am in the same boat as others, not a lot of free time, it comes and goes in spurts, but I will pitch in whenever possible.

18. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alright, i'm off to work. I'm going to cut it off at four at the moment. So if you four (andrea, helmi, ergate, and boetter) will signup and post your usernames i'll get that taken care of tonight.

I've also got a few things listed on the frontpage. These are probably some of the most needed pages at the moment. So if anyone has some free time and would like to start on those, I think it would save a lot of newbie question being asked in the forums.

Also, i'll make a general announcement about the wiki once a few pages have been started and the theme looks decent.

19. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've just signed up. Pretty easy to guess ("boetter").

Will start putting up some content beginning next week.

20. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've copied this discussion to http://www.wpmuwiki.org/Talk:WPMU_Wiki_Strategy

Of course I can't delete stuff from the forums, so it has to be duplicated. But http://martin.cleaver.org/blog/2006/11/06/blogs-are-like-plastics-wikis-are-like-leaves/ is why we pushed for a wiki, right?

21. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I apologize for not having created a new theme for the wiki yet. The day job has been killing me this last week.

22. mmccrae
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://wpmuwiki.org

Seems to be down. When will this be up?

Thanks,

mm

23. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's what happens when you burn a wiki at both ends.

24. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Over a period of four months, the site only received about 150 unique visits. For comparison, wpmudev.org receives roughly 2000 unique visits a day with 52% being new visitors (obviously some users have dynamic IPs but you get the point).

My general policy is that as long as a site is useful and has a decent number of weekly hits, I have no problem footing the bill. The final straw for wpmuwiki was when it went from Dec, 25 to January 25 with less than five unique visits.

If there is strong demand i'll bring it back. Otherwise i'm just going to hold onto the domain for future use.

25. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Honest answer, I didn't even know it was there. :(

4 months ago would have put it within the bellringing though.

26. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol, there was a wiki, now it's gone, blah.

Here's mine:

http://mu-plugins.livelyblog.com/Main_Page

But sshh, don't tell anyone! Or.. I don't mind people who run MU sites going there, or normal WP users for that matter. But the site's really just a wiki where I and a friend exchange plugins and widgets and it's a Wiki to allow us to make edits to the code...

this one won't go away if it has zero hits in a year since it's not intended to have it, but it may be usefull to keep track of edits you've made to plugins to make them work with MU, plugin's you've written which you want other people to improve, and so forth.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrewbillits
  • Latest reply from xiand0