The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to turn every dashboard into an aggregator (7 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

One of the things I've wanted to do to WordPress for a loooong time has been to make it a bit more like Radio Userland whence I started this caper.

No, not desktop based, full of bugs and based on .txt files and Frontier ;) But rather so that it includes a backend aggregator which allows users to simply add feeds to their dashboard and have an 'all-in-one' blogging / aggregating experience.

And I think I'm half way there...

The secret seems to lie with the FamilyPress Dasher plugin: http://familypress.net/dasher/

With a few tweaks to the code you can drop it into mu-plugins and each user has a basic aggregator, here's my v. quick go at it:

http://incsub.org/dasher.rar

To edit the default feeds and starting blocks just pop into dasher.php and edit line 37.

It the allows users to add their own feeds (and dashboard 'blocks').

Creating new blocks is easy even for me so you guys should have no problem :)

If this interests people I've got some things that are way beyond me though, so perhaps we could do a collaborative thing in speccing it up?

I'd love to get it, in the first case, so that:

-Users could delete feeds as well as add them
    -The 'Add feed' option was operational on the dashboard (rather than just a link from it)
    -There was a nice 'refresh feeds' option.

And down the line so that it could offer some genuine aggregator level functionality - folders, configuration etc.

So, if you're interested or know someone who might be, let's see if we can make it rock.

Cheers, James

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

So that'd be just me interested in this :) Maybe I should post it over at the WP forums...

3. skcsknathan001
    Posted 17 years ago #

it sounds a very good one, even though I'm not a very code writer...
    but thanks for the dasher link.

4. intimez
    Posted 17 years ago #

Currently evaluating plugins, and this one sounds good. I did run into a problem though. When managing the dashboard, the blocks include the configure.php file. I don't think that was intended and should be excluded.

5. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is actually a very good idea.

6. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, got play with it a bit.Kinda kills the "Latest Activity" block.

7. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

It needs one of those 'free weekends' and a serious coder, and then about a year of iterative development and some AJAX and... :)

About this Topic