The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Collapse of the Categories tables ? (5 posts)

1. hansellt
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm running wordpress and wordpress-mu (separate installatons).

Apparently, the latest wordpress-mu has collapsed all of the category tables into 1 table, instead of having:
    linkcategories and sitecategories and the post categories as separate tables.

This might be a smart implementation, but WP-2.0 still uses the old schema, so themes that work under WP must me hacked to work with WP-mu.

Will the next version of WP go to the new table structure ?
    or will the two versions begin to diverge (even farther) from this point forward.

BTW does anyone have an ER diagram or a discription of the datamodel for the table structure ? I would like to see it rather then finding out how it works by reverse engineering.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I haven't noticed a problem with themes and category listings. TBH, only around 25-30% of the themes I've tried for both regular WP and MU haven't needed editing of some kind.

If the theme in question used the standard default Category tags, it shouldn't need hacking at all.

Working on a DB diagram here. :)

3. hansellt
    Posted 17 years ago #

The theme in question: (bluehorizon), has some explicit
    SQL statements in the sidebar.php that reference
    $wpdb_linkcategories. If there is a smarter way of doing what
    they were doing, that calls some intermediate code without
    resorting to SQL that would be good to know.

As far as a DB diagram, I teach database classes at a university, and I am considering giving a project to the class next semester to document and evaluate the data model (of course by reverse engineering).

What may come out of that will be more than a simple ER diagram of the datamodel but also a critque of the current datamodel and suggestions for improvement.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

"If there is a smarter way of doing what
    they were doing, that calls some intermediate code without
    resorting to SQL that would be good to know."

Well what were they doing to the list of categories? You can show just a plain ol' list of categories by using the standard category tag.

wp_list_cats('arguments');

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/wp_list_cats for arguments.

Your db project sounds interesting. It was the only course that stuck with me when I took programming in college. :D

5. AndWat
    Posted 17 years ago #

I saw the same thing reported in the original post, using the White as Milk theme.

About this Topic