The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wpmu limitations (9 posts)

1. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

lets talk about limitaion of wordpressMU ... all those which one may came across while maintaining thousands of blogs ...

what are database limits ?
    what are linux directory limits ( 32000 items can be in a single directory , so is 32000 hard limit for wordpress )

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The database limits have less to do with MU or WP and more to do with host limitations. The only ones I've found are phpMyAdmin has a hard time dealing with a very large databse (over 16 Megs) especially for backups, but you can do that in chunks. Surely there's other ways of administering a database. Also, some hosts have soft connection limits to the database, but (I think) that's usually on shared servers. Someone can feel free to correct me on that. And the dev have recommended you use a dedicated server, not a shared one anyway. :)

3. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes yes definitely a dedicated and a good dedicated with some raid 1 of 15k rpm hard disks of raid 5 of 7.2K/10K rpm hard disks if you start getting bigger (1K+ blogs)...

what type of hardware are you using and have you done any custom modification on wpmu ?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a small specialized userbase, so for now, we're still on shared hosting. We will be hacking it to use more thna one db, though, to get around phpMyAdmin limits and host's soft limits on db connections.

5. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

great ... who is ur webhost?

6. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

correction to my upper post
    "raid 1 of 15k rpm hard disks of raid 5 of 7.2K/10K rpm hard disks "
    should actually be
    "raid 1 of 15k rpm hard disks OR raid 5 of 7.2K/10K rpm hard disks "

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Site5.com

8. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

32000 is linux's subdirectories limit (not items). There is onle upload dir per blog in MU, so after 32000 blogs you need a little work.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, and if you're on shared hosting, be prepared to move once you're around 240-250 blogs. Sigh.

About this Topic