The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MySpace sued for copyright infringement (16 posts)

1. TechWorker
    Posted 17 years ago #

What should be done if this happens to a blog hosted by WPMU. How to take care of this kind of problems.

If there are 100's of blogs, it will be impossible to monitor every blog unless you employ people to do it.

Please share your comments on this.

TW

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Personally (and this is my opinion, IANAL), I think this has more to do with MS's stardard TOS. Buried under there they assume your copyright for everything you post on their sites. *That's* what gets them in trouble.

If one of our sites had a TOS where copyright was claimed by whomever posted the material (and not the host), then they would be liable.

3. TechWorker
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks Andrea.
    Is there any standard TOS and privacy policy for WPMU which will not get the host into any trouble.

4. gecampbell
    Posted 17 years ago #

You need to ask a lawyer

5. TechWorker
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ofcourse. I would if I make enough money to pay lawyer. Until then, I think, we can use WordPress.com's TOS, Privacy statements.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

The Harvard blogs have a great TOS and I think they are available for others to use.

"Is there any standard TOS and privacy policy for WPMU which will not get the host into any trouble."

Probably not, some people are just litigious. Buuuut, I have seen many that essentially state "you agree to absolve us of any responsibility for anything on this site that goes wrong"

Are you thinking of some sort of specific situation? Overall, unless you get as big as MS, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it.

7. TechWorker
    Posted 17 years ago #

No specific situation. Just a normal blog host. I want to do it out of interest. May be for few bucks thru Ads. I would be happy if I could get 100 active blogs. Want to keep it under 200 blogs. Just don't want to go thru legal trouble if any user Screws Up. Thanks for your comments Andrea.

8. Jakey
    Posted 17 years ago #

you will usually get a letter stating infringement. When this happens remove the piece in question.

There are also fair use laws to consider. And you are somewhat protected as a provider, but you bare the burden of proof for establishing it as someone else's infringement on your server.

9. Cybermonsters
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have been trying to install a checkbox for members to agree to a terms of service like found on the wordpress.com signup form - but I am a little lost as to how to add this.

It appears to be pulling from wpmu-functions.php - any ideas on how to add this? Can you add to the signup page, or has to be on the wpmu-functions.php page?

Final result I'd like is that the checkbox has to be ticked to agree to TOS for a blog to be opened.

10. Cybermonsters
    Posted 17 years ago #

Similiar topic found here:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1569&replies=15

Not the best way to do it, but a solution.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

like this here? http://zice.ro/wp-signup.php

If you like that and that is what you are looking for, I'll give you the few lines of code I changed...

12. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ovidiu, I'd really like the code you used/changed to make your sign up work the way you have (read TOS etc).

Could youshare that here please?

Thanks.

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

For my own paying clients, I have something in there that says if they put someone on my servers, they are telling me that they control the copyright for the item and if they don't, they take full responsability over it.

I get 4-5 copyright complaints a month. They get dealt with right away without issue. (They're usually very obvious.) Only three have gone to court. One's pending but for all of them I was released from the suit.

Keep a good record of what you're doing, show that you do pay attention to copyright and complaints, and it shouldn't be an issue.

I agree though. You need to talk to a attorney. Even have one on retainer to bounce questions off of.

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@ BernieSteakouse
    I answered you in the other thread you opened over her: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3569&replies=3

15. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

Got it, thanks. ;)

16. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I know you know ;-)

my comment was for others reading this thread and wondering why you got no answer - to prevent them to ask the same question again... kind of ....

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by TechWorker
  • Latest reply from Ovidiu