The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Request: simplified admin-menu for users (8 posts)

1. Bruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi there!

Some of my users are first-time-blog-users :-) I don't want them to quit just because of the WP-Admin-menu.

What I'm looking for is a way to simplify the menu as much as possible - they should be able to write, edit posts and pages and manage their cathegories. No need for them to change other settings (e.g. options-general.php, plugins.php).

I think not only my users would like to concentrate on writing and not searching menus...

2. ekusteve
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bruz,

I've done this for my users on single WP blogs. I've just started looking at mu, but my initial testing seems to indicate this works the same way in mu. Here is how I do it.

1. Open wordpressmu/wp-admin/menu.php
    2. Comment out the menus and/or submenus and save.

That's it.

This will remove the items in the admin area, but you can still get to them by manually entering the url of the menu item in the browser address bar.

For example, if you wanted to hide the entire "Options" menu and all submenus, then just comment out the line like below.

//$menu[40] = array(__('Options'), 'manage_options', 'options-general.php');

Steve

3. Bruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you Steve,

I tried this first but let the idea go because I want to keept the orginal menu for myself.
    What I did now is pick up the idea again and add an if-statement to menu.php which shows the full menu for me as an admin and hides some stuff for the other users.

I'll go and post my work later, maybe there is an more elegant solution (I think so because I did it :-) )

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

as far as I remember there was a plugin by this name for wordpress,... go search for it maybe it is exactly what you were looking for.

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

something really awesome would be a beginner/expert switch. Like a button that would trigger the appearence of advanced options. I also ahve beginners as my main audience, and half the blogs never receive a post dute to the admin being too complex.

6. PerS
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's really simple, just deactivate fields you don't need using css:

display: none;

http://www.semiologic.com/software/admin-simplified/ does this, but a plugin with a list of fields you could enable/disable would be even nicer.

7. Jshwaz44
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just did this so I thought I would share.

under wp-admin/menu.php

comment out menu options you don't want to show up with //

ie. //$menu[15] = array(__('Comments'), 'edit_posts', 'edit-comments.php');
    //$menu[20] = array(__('Blogroll'), 'manage_links', 'link-manager.php');

If you want these options to show up for the site admin but not for your users,

under if( is_site_admin() ) {
    copy and past the lines that you commented out. This will make them display only if your logged in as an admin.

8. Marja99
    Posted 16 years ago #

smart & simple, thank you for sharing!

About this Topic