The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Safest way to upgrade? (21 posts)

1. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

What is the *safest* way to upgrade to the latest nightly version? I'm interested in keeping up with progress, but I don't want to mess anything up, either. :-)

2. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

The reason I'm asking (above) is because I tried to just overwrite the files (replace, not merge) and I'm now getting an Internal Server 500 Error. I'm trying to replace the 9/6 nightly with the 9/7 nightly. Is there an upgrade script (upgrade.php?). Although, I get nothing but the error no matter what I try. Thanks.

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've upgraded three times by just overwriting files. You just have to make sure you read the change log carefully. Otherwise you will have problems.

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Oh, a little tip. setup a test server and test all upgrades on it first.

5. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

When I overwrite the files, do I replace or merge? Perhaps it is just a problem with last nights nightly? I'm confused about what in the change log will help the process (can we say newbie? ;-))?

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

it's possible that there is a bug in the nightly but it's unlikey given the files that were changed from the previous day. Basically you only need to overwrite the files that were changed (that's where the change log comes in).

7. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Got it...thanks, andrewbillits :-)

8. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm guessing that if/when there are db changes that it will be noted in the changelog and a sql file/upgrade would be installed in the nightly? If there are db changes, how would an upgrade affect the existing db records?

9. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

So, this is the second time I'm trying to upgrade to the latest nightly and, just as I did the first time, I'm getting "Internal Server Error". I just copied the new files over the old. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If someone can help, I would sure appreciate it. If you'd like to take it off-list I can be reached at admin at itsallupto.us.

10. rocksolid
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Need to read the readme....

goto wp-admin/upgrade.php and it will upgrade for you.

And the zip format of the nightly update is not the most recent, get the other version.

11. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I tried that already...I get the Internal Server Error when I go to wp-admin/upgrade.php...

12. dsendecki
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

What are your permissions on admin/upgrade.php?

13. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hmmm...it didn't occur to me that I might need to change permissions on the file. Although, the way my host is setup, I have full permissions (don't need to chmod anything to edit).

14. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Look at your .htaccess does it have BASE all through it? I think the installer must replace all instances of BASE with the relative path to your WPMU install.

If it does just look at your working .htaccess to see what BASE should be replaced with and then update the new .htaccess file accordingly or just use the old one, I'm not sure what if any improvements have been made in recent nightlies, time for me to go read the changelog....

15. redwolf
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

So, I think I've finally got it! I upgraded to the latest nightly and everything seems to work. Here's what I did:

1.) Made a backup of all of the files (and database) of my working version

2.) Uploaded the newest nightly (replace, not merge)

3.) Copied the following files from my backed-up working version into the new install:

.htaccess
    wp-inst/.htaccess
    wp-inst/wpmu-settings.php
    wp-inst/wp-config.php

4.) loaded http://mydomain/wp-inst/wp-admin/upgrade.php in my browser and followed the prompts

Seems to have worked like a charm!

Can someone please verify this process? Thanks!

16. mspecht
    Posted 18 years ago #

redwolf, did you run wpmu-upgrade-site.php or just upgrade.php? As the wpmu-upgrade-site.php seems to loop through and upgrade all blogs on the service.

I have a similar concern, while the ChangeLog is great I am concerned about DB Schema changes, are these clearly stated in the ChangeLog or do we need to always runs the upgrade scripts?

17. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Well if any of the upgrade-schema files have been updated since your last upgrade then you need to run the upgrade scripts otherwise you don't.

18. Edd
    Posted 18 years ago #

Just wished to confirm that redwolf's upgrade method does work perfectly. Only thing missing is running the upgrade command in the Site Admin part of the admin panel.
    http://yourdomain/wp-admin/wpmu-upgrade-site.php
    Also, you can either check the change log and just upload the files that have changed, or just upload the lot. I found that if I missed a nightly build (e.g. upgrade from last weeks build to todays build) that it was easier to just upload the lot rather than going through the change log and finding every change.
    Hope that helps/confirms the upgrade process.

19. georgesgabereau
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

This actually didn't work for me.
    The wpmu-site-upgrade.php did not upgrade the DB of all the blogs on the site.

I can upgrade an individual blog by calling upgrade.php from that subdomain, but I really don't want to do this for 100+ blogs.

Any tips?

20. parasew
    Posted 18 years ago #

21. rudy3107
    Posted 16 years ago #

my mu 1.3.1 was not working after PHP upgrade from 4.2 to 5.
    just now i dowloaded mu 1.3.3 and just just replaced wp-include and wp-admin directories and it started to work without running any upgrade script.

site is http://mynation.net/

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by redwolf
  • Latest reply from rudy3107