The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

forcing a theme (6 posts)

1. dbmasters
    Posted 17 years ago #

With WPMU how do I force a theme on bloggers and not let them change it? Is there a way to?

2. dbmasters
    Posted 17 years ago #

It does seem that just removing the other themes works, but seems clumsy, it'd be nice if there was a away to enable or disable them by blogger or something.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

In the Site Admin -> Themes panel. That enables or disables themes site-wide.

you can enable a theme for a specific blog by choosing the "edit" link next to the blog in the blog list (also in Site Admin).

4. bethgranter
    Posted 17 years ago #

dbmasters> I cannot remove the WP default theme unless I change the folder name, and then any blogs that are currently using it disappear until I change their theme to an alternative. Even when I disable the theme, it is still used by default for new blogs, rather than the enabled alternative theme.

andrea_r> Is there a way to automatically do this to all blogs rather than having to go through each individually? And is there a way to set what the default theme is for new users?

Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

you can set the default them to something else by renaming the default them folder to whatever, then change the name of the default theme you now want to use to "default". That is the easiest way.

And the menu link I described above is how you enable and disable themes site-wide.

So, in baby-steps:
    - rename /default/ theme to /olddefault/
    - rename /newtheme/ to /default/
    Go to Site Admin -> Themes.
    Disable the old default theme.
    Enable for all the new default theme.

If someone is using currently using a theme that is disabled, it will still show on their blog, but not in their Presentation menu. They will also not be able to get it back if they switch to another theme.

6. bethgranter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Aha yes cheers, I realised this after my last post, pretty obvious really.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by dbmasters
  • Latest reply from bethgranter