The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomain Redirect to sub directory (1 post)

1. AdrianHanft
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have seen similar threads in the forum, but none of them mention what I am trying to do. My hosting company doesn't allow wildcards on the shared packages, so I set up Wordpress MU to use sub directories. I was going to set up the sub domains manually and point them to the sub directories using the control panel (I use 1and1 for hosting). Unfortunately, since Wordpress MU doesn't actually create "real" folders, when I try to point the subdomain to the sub directory, it tells me that the directory doesn't exist and won't let me do it. I thought I would be clever and create the directory, then forward the subdomain to it, then delete the directory. Unfortunately that gave me a server error.

So now I am out of ideas. Could someone please recommend a way to point a subdomain to a directory that doesn't really exist. I have read some threads about .htaccess, but couldn't get any of those solutions to work (probably because I didn't know what I was doing). If that is the solution, could someone give me clear directions about what to change in the .htaccess file and where it should be placed on my server? Thanks in advance...

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by AdrianHanft