The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Host Won't allow Mod_Rewrite in Apache... (8 posts)

1. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

I contacted my host to see if they could do the mod_rewrite in Apache as stated in the readme... but the host said they couldn't do it because it's a shared hosting plan and would effect other people.

But they said they could do the Wildcard DNS setup.

What can I do? Is there anyway around the mod_rewrite for shared hosting plans? I just want subdomains to work :(

2. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have Dreamhost btw :)

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

switch to asmallorange. Aside from some uptime issues, they're a great hosting provider.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Switch hosts.

That's one of the most BS answers I've heard.

That's not a reason, it's an excuse. Drop them like the plague.

A Small Orange is nice, so is Media Temple. Both have excellent reputations.

5. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Weird, I contacted Dreamhost again and this time they said mod_rewrite is enabled on their apache.

One of their support person said they couldn't do it, and now one says they can. Either way I'm going to give it a go :p

They said to put in a mod_rewrite line in my .htaccess and it'll work, I'm assuming it's
    RewriteEngine on

6. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've got dreamhost and I've been running WPMU for over 2 months. I'd typically call or send an email to support again when they say the can't do something. It seems some of their techs have either no training or no business working for a webhost.

Dreamhost is great for WPMU (and has a really handy dbase backup script in the wiki using cron jobs...

7. Farkel
    Posted 17 years ago #

Since you use Dreamhost, did you have to add the RewriteEngine on to the htaccess in your root directory?

The guy said he turned on the wildcard for my domain, but after I installed WPMU it linked me to some CGI stuff. I uninstalled and reuploaded everything... just gonna wait for the DNS to run its course for the wildcard (atleast that's what I think is the problem for the CGI thing)

8. corourke
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just installed (however I did check this entry in the wiki:
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/WordPress_MU

In my case, aside from requesting wildcard dns I didn't have to manually do anything else here at all.

Make sure in the case of hosting with dreamhost you use this to setup dbase backups automatically:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Automatic_Backup

About this Topic