The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

No option to insert thumbnail in posts (18 posts)

1. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone else had this?

In the upload bar, there is no longer and option to insert a thumbnail into a post. You can insert "full size" or "title" but no thumbnail option.

Is this just me, I'm trying to track down the problem.

2. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had that with one very large image i uploaded. Don't know if the problems are related.

3. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

* bump *

anyone seen this happening?

Thumbnails are there, manually inserting the link shows the thumbnail, but there is no link to insert it from the editor.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Haven't seen it. I'm using the coppermine plugin, and the flickr plugin for that purpose.

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

you have a working coppermine plugin for wpmu? how does it work? can you provide a link? I was still on the search for a working gallery plugin for wpmu...

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

The plugin I'm using is no longer in development. The last update it saw was over a year ago for 1.4.0.

Since then, I've been keeping it up myself and it's not something that you could drop in your install and have work. Since it's for my own personal use, I've hard coded a lot of stuff to save adding variables to memory, and all kinds of things that are site specific.

I'm actually switching away from Coppermine, and working on putting everything either on Flickr, or writing my own custom app.

7. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

There was a typo in a core file, problem solved

8. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

care to share the typo ?

9. BillyD
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah I need to know the typo as well since I am having the same problem. Thanks.

10. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Was fixed about five months ago.

What kind of file are we uploading? Size in pixel and kb would be helpful as well.

Anything in your webserver's error logs?

New Install? What version are you running?

11. billnoyes
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just discovered my site is having this issue as well. Recent upgrade to 1.2.5a, no server error log entries relating to this that I have found. The image is a .jpg that is 64 KB and 507 x 676 pixels. There is just no option to insert the image as a thumbnail since the upgrade to 1.2.5a. Any ideas?

12. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

On my site the thumbnail is automatically created when the image is uploaded.

When I upload the image from the write menu, then there is an option to insert a thumbnail. If I go to manage/uploads then click on an image, then click on the "links" link, I see the thumbnail code.

The thumbnail url should be the same url as the full-size image with .thumbnail.jpg at the end instead of just .jpg

13. miteshashar
    Posted 16 years ago #

thumbnails have been workin with me pretty fine after an upgrade to 1.25.a

maybe it is giving problems only to the sub-folder installations..

14. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can confirm that the thumbnail problem intermittently appears with sub directory installs.

15. billnoyes
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am using subdomains. I have not had this issue until this upgrade. My user who alerted me to this issue has been on my site through about 5 previous versions of MU and has always had the thumbnail option. It is very strange. I will start checking blogs.dir subfolder permissions more closely and see if anything has changed.

16. billnoyes
    Posted 16 years ago #

User directory permissions are all fine. Still no helpful entries in the apache logs. This is affecting all users on my site. It is like the option to insert a thumbnail into a post is just suddenly turned off.

My versions are:
    Apache 2.2.3
    PHP 5.2.1
    MySQL 5.0.38

17. trebor79
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just ran across this problem myself. It seems to be related to the physical size (dimensions) of the image.

I was uploading a mock-up and I tried uploading an image 1200x2800. No thumbnail option. WordPress Mu didn't generate it.

I tried resaving - the same issue. I tried reducing the jpg's quality to reduce the filesize. I tried uploading another image (smaller) and it worked fine so it wasn't something that broke with WordPress - it was image specific.

I finally got it working by reducing the image dimensions to 1200x2600 and it worked. The filesize in bytes *might* still also have been an issue. I will test more later.

18. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had a problem like this that was resolved when I upgraded the podpress plugin. I don't recall the version at the time.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by pumpkinslayer
  • Latest reply from webmaestro