The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Private Message Plug-in (48 posts)

1. empiucci80
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

Does someone know if there is a private message plug-in for Wordpress MU? So the users can send PM to each other?

2. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have you tried http://www.vituperation.com/?page_id=531 ?

It seems feature rich but i have yet to try it on wordpress MU

3. empiucci80
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for a quick answer but it seems like the Private notes plugin doesn't work with Wordpress MU. Any other suggestions?

Or do you think maybe Private notes plugin can be modified to work with MU. Anyone up for a challenge.. :)

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://www.vituperation.com/?page_id=531 it does work with wpmu, there is a readers comment to make it compatible with wpmu.

although after a first testinstall it seems this is more of a global plugin, I guess we could modify it to work from the mu-plugins folder and work across all blogs.

one thing though, if yopu send a note from your dashboard, you must type in the recipients name, that could be changed into a dropdown list....

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd rather see an auto suggest box than a dropdown (not that usable when passed a few hundred users). Gonna look into that plugin.

6. empiucci80
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi again!

I would love it if someone was able to create such a plug-in. The project I'm gonna use it for is Nice to Meet You™ (http://ntmy.org/). It's still under development.

Please let me know if you succeed. I will dig into it too.

7. eminemjamesuk
    Posted 17 years ago #

Are you talking about something similar to what I have implemented on http://www.journalblue.com ?

There's a Messages section on the homepage after you log in which enables users to send messages to each other. Check it out and see if it suites your needs.

8. suprb
    Posted 17 years ago #

eminemjamesuk, yes it is what he's looking for. Which plugin are you using? Is it available somewhere?

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I already asked this in your last post, wher you advertised your site, you might have overlooked it though :-)

10. suprb
    Posted 17 years ago #

Never mind. The Wordpress Note plug was easy to modify to a MU plugin.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

mind to share your mods?

12. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm also interested in seeing the mod to make it wpmu capable

13. ladeem
    Posted 17 years ago #

As shown here by the commenter on the website:

In private_notes.php, function pn_script(), where it says
    return get_option(’siteurl’) . “/wp-admin/profile.php?page=$plugin_dir” .
    basename(__FILE__);
    Change the “profile.php” part to “users.php”, so it looks like
    return get_option(’siteurl’) . “/wp-admin/users.php?page=$plugin_dir” .
    basename(__FILE__);
    Then it should work perfectly under WordpressMU

This made the plugin work on my site, but it doesn't show up if I put it in the MU-plugins folder. Has anyone gotten it to work that way? I just activated it globally.

Another nice feature would be to notify the user when they have a new "note". That would be awesome. ;)

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

any other progress in this?

what about the plugin eminemjamesuk uses?

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's a private message plugin for bbpress I noted recently for those using that forum software.

16. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am not sure what kind of license eminemjamesuk's plugin has in order to release it

17. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

i think it was developed by a private coder.

18. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am having trouble with this Private Message plugin, keeps giving me a function redeclare error when I go to User note page.

Anyone else have to same problem and fix it.

WDuluoz

19. apeatling
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you want to activate this plugin globally, you can't put it in a sub-directory in the mu-plugins folder. You have to place all the files in the root of mu-plugins.

Just thought I'd let people know. It works once you do that.

20. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I fixed my problems.

Things I had to do.

Download version 1.1
      Get rid of all reference to $plugin_dir.
      Change __FILE__ to basename(__FILE__) where it wasnt.
      Move the private notes admin page to under Site Admin
      change the options to site options
      Change where it checks $userdata->user_level to current_user_can('read') (this was for whether or not the user can see the user menu page not admin menu)

everything seems to be working now.

We will see.

21. aloncarmel2k
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bump.
    Theres a big big big bug.
    i notified the coder, when viewing folders you can change the url var fid or nid to the message or folder id. there is no check to verify that the folder requested actually belongs to the currentuserinfo, it just passes the fid to the function and shows the folders.

anyone using this plugin on wordpress MU or Wordpress is vulnerable to hacking and view of other people's folders,messages and so on.

im workin on a solution now.

22. aloncarmel2k
    Posted 17 years ago #

quick fixup for the viewing other people's notes and folders.

Open pn_folder.php

add in the function pn_display_view_folder_page under get_currentuserinfo and all the globals this:

$owneruserid = $wpdb->get_var("SELECT owner_user_id
    FROM $folder_table
    WHERE ID = $folder_id
    ");

if ($owneruserid != $userdata->ID) {

echo '<h2>This is not your folder</h2>';
    exit;

}

Under the pn_note.php add at the start of
    pn_display_view_note_page function under the globals

global $userdata;
    get_currentuserinfo();
    if ($note->owner_user_id != $userdata->ID) {

echo '<h2>This is not your note, if you think it is yours please contact us</h2>';
    exit;

}

23. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

does this plugin still provide a drown-down list only?

24. aloncarmel2k
    Posted 17 years ago #

drown down? drop down?

25. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

:-p drown drown.

26. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Quick, anyone know mouth to mouth?

27. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman: it shows a list box with the names, which you can manually change to a drop down if you want. (or a drown down)

ps: how's the plugin I sent you?

28. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bro, the plugin you sent me is rockin solid!

I didn't know it would insert into comments automatically, and that's exactly what I was looking for. I think we can brand this as a succesful WPMU Avatars Plugin.

I also figured out my issue with the $blog_id vs. $user_ID variable choice when pointing to the image source. And the verdict is that $blog_id works just fine, since my profile pics plugin is saving avatars using the $blog_id.jpg format.

29. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

any news on this?

I mean I have a feedback plugin, a friends-list plugin and a mass-mail plugin active and you are talking about a send private message plugin. The "perfect" plugin would combine these functions, I mean a feedback plugin that doesn't let me interact, a mass-mail plugin which doesn't let me choose my targets and a friends list which is only-one-functional when adding friends way are of no great use.

What progress has been made with these kinda things?

30. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ovidiu: so currently Private Messages just allows you to send to one person, so if it was modified to send to more what else would you want it to do?

WDuluoz

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by empiucci80
  • Latest reply from digibluez