The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Plugin: Sitewide Dashboard Notes (44 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

This plugin will allow a site admin to add notes to all dashboards across their MU domain.

As a note, if you have multiple domains available, you'll have to manage your notes per domain just like other "global" settings.

Default Post Title Plugin

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks for this lunabyte! I'm using it now on my wpmu site!

3. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow another excellent and extremely handy plugin.

Works perfectly straight out of the box and will be great for announcing new tutorials, service updates etc.

Fantasic. Thanks lunabyte.

4. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

One small bug is that GMT offsets doesn't seem to work. Its an issue i've faced trying to sort out the Users Online plugin also.

January 13th, 5:00pm (GMT -5)

Should be 10.00pm here.

And is there anyway to move the input to the Admin > Site Admin menu space. I'm not saying globally for this plugin but some idea if its easily do-able as i think for my needs it would be better there than where its at (although totally usable either way).

I see your hooking it to 'add_action('activity_box_end', 'tl_notes');' and thats taught me something else today, because i didn't know there was a hook there :) I'm learning everyday by reading source code and yours is pretty well documented.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

** Note for mod: (cough)drmike(/cough) If you could edit my link title above, then delete this little blurb I'd be thankful. Doh!

Diz, If you're not 5 hours behind GMT, why is your offset -5? Shouldn't it be 0?

The time part wouldn't change, it uses the local server time, so if you're GMT 0, then it should read 5pm (GMT -0). The time wouldn't be right, exactly, but maybe the incorrect offset is the problem on your other plugin.

I'll probably revamp the time function for this tomorrow if I get the time. My real big concern was the actual notes working and ordering OK. :D

6. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Notes are working perfectly :)

The server i'm using is in Canada although i'm based in the UK. Wordpress automatically sets the offset for me. Its pretty accurate too when writing posts or pages so i guess its right ?

I'm a little confused though because as you say this could very well be my root issue. Weird how it would have set it to that and does set it for each new blog.

Anyway i've adjusted that now for my main Admin blog and all is well. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I guess its looking at the server time and comparing it to the UTC time on blog creation and then seeing the 5 hour difference and setting to -5 straight away. I wonder if i can address that.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well with your offset changed now, see what happens over the next few registrations or try and register yourself.

8. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Changing my offset didn't work on new blog creation and as i'm with shared hosting, getting the server time changed wasn't an option.

However i found a very quick and easy solution using .htaccess and now the server is reporting to my php scripts its on GMT and i'm glad to say all is well in the diz household :)

Excellent script btw, did i mention that ? :)

9. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cool Diz. ;)

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

can you post that .htaccess solution please?

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why not google for it like he did?

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@lunabyte

I thought this forum was about helping others and share knowledge/solutions. I do not usually ask questions without searching first, in this case I was asking out of curiosity, maybe someone else will do a search on this forum for "time offset gmt" and would find the solution to his problem right here in this post.

Personally I do not have this problem, as I am on my own server and can change whatever variable I want, its just a habit of mine, if I see somebody post a problem/question, and later on post again something like "nevermind I fixed it" without revealing how he did it.

Why was I curious?
    I also use the useronline plugin, modified by dizzy99 and on my useronline page the times shown are GMT although my blogs time differs by +2 hours, a settign I already set in my wpmu settings, so I was curious, thats all.

###edit###
    concerning the admin dashboard notes plugin:

I just posted a note, my local time was: 01:28 the GMT time was 23:28 and the note said:

January 15th, 12:28am (GMT 2) seems strage to mee, or can someone explain this too me? Or does this have anything to do with winter-/summertime?

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sure that's what it's about. But the old saying also applies about users help those who help themselves.

Is it my fault, or other users faults when people try to run a network but can't even edit css, or have any knowledge of anything other than point and click, and want to be spoonfed? I feel sorry for their end users when they ask a question and they admin can't reply but has to run here and beg first.

It seems that every time I turn around, someone is saying give me your theme, share your code, give me your plugin, or whatever.

So just because a user has the skills to run, maintain, and customize their site, they should just give it all away to someone unwilling to learn html, css, and php? That's a load.

So, when I suggested using google, why not? It's quite relevant.

If it's an actual problem, then sure. Everyone pitches in and discusses it, then finds a common solution. But it should first be relevant to MU, second it shouldn't be of a level that basic skills should cover, and third it shouldn't hijack someones post when the question has no bearing on the subject at hand.

14. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I do agree with you on several points, especially talking about css skills, and general skills needed to run wpmu, but on the other hand I do really think this whole thing is about:

give me your theme, share your code, give me your plugin, or whatever

if there is a "please" added and the one asking is not taking it for granted.

and like you can see in my ###edit### above, my question was relevant to your plugin, as it outputs a strange time (which I do not understand - you might do so)

but lets not debate our different understanding of a support forum here, we both stated our point of view and besides that, I do appreciate your help here in the forums and your plugins.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

In regards to your edit, all this plugin does is use time() to insert the time. Then it grabs the offset set in options by default. Normally it isn't an issue, but in theory someone could have a server time that's actually -5, and an offset of -8, but that isn't exactly the plugins fault.

I might look into modifying the timestamp so its gmt, but I'll see. The time stamp is in seconds, and an integer value, which is really important to make the plugin work.

16. dizzy99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Solution to setting your own sitewide timezone posted here

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3123&replies=1

Didn't want to hijack Lunabytes topic, sorry mate :)

17. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lunabyte, I've been using this plugin so much that I've hit up against a bit of a snag mate!

How do I go about deleting outdated "Alerts" ? I've got about 5 or 6 right now.

If it's obvious my apologies....its been a late start and still no coffee.

18. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Simply delete all the text in the box you wish to remove. ;)

No coffee? How do you do it, man! I'd be in a bell tower or book repository by now. :D

19. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

This r-o-c-k-s! Thankyou :)

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I need to add this to my own install. I was looking for it.

21. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

and now you've found it drmike!

22. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sure James. Glad you like it. ;)

23. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello, do we still need to edit any codes to make this work? I don't see the note added on my client's dashboard.

24. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

No editing of code has ever been required for this, unless you want to edit the plugin to change the language values.

Drop it in mu-plugins, and off you go.

25. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

yummy lunabyte yummy. You need a beer for that one.

26. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

I place the notes_1-0a folder into the mu-plugins/ but weird thing is the site admin-> plugins did not detect it. I'm using wpmu 1.1.1

27. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

mu-plugins directory doesn't detect directories per se

28. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You don't upload the dir, you just put the plugin file right into mu-plugins.

That's how mu-plugins work. It reads in every file, every time a page is loaded.

There's nothing to detect, configure, or activate. It's an MU plugin.

29. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks Luna. I never knew how mu-plugins work until you explained this in here.

Your dashboard plugin works like a charm now :)

30. Delbert
    Posted 17 years ago #

mmm I LIKE this plugin. Thanks lunabyte.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by lunabyte
  • Latest reply from lunabyte