The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Optimizing MySQL (8 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Greets:

Did we ever figure out a way to optimize out MySQL databases with the thousands of tables that we have? ;)

Thanks,
    -drmike

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

By far the most useful discussion on it so far:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2052&replies=24

Cheers, James

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Or split into multiple smaller databases and then you can optimize them individually. :)

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Gee, some "educated donkey" listened to lecture.... LOL

That was pretty sweet though. ;)

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

splitting the DB is definitely the best move regarding easier management of mysql. Probably not even as much from a performance point of view than for scaling on multiple servers, backups, etc. Makes mass updates more complex though.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

My host came across a script that worked for me. I placed a slightly modified copy up here in case anyone else needed it. It does scan all of the tables accessable by that user so it shoudl work for a multi database setup should work as well.

Drop it into your site root and copy and paste the necessary MySQL information. I tried to link it to wp-config but it kept trying to pull files from the WPMu install.

Please make sure it works and I'll go ahead and add it into wpmudev.org.

Thanks,
    -drmike

edit: I just went ahead and added it to wpmudev.

7. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

I won't be needing this for a while but it's good to know it's there for when I do.

The good Doctor does it again ;-)

#edit#
    I got it first!

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

thx for the great script, in return I want to point out another script which helps diagnose the mysql installation, it will show or email you a report which will help you greatly if you read it and the documentation carefully and then proceed to tune your mysql server.

go check it out here: http://hackmysql.com/mysqlreport

About this Topic