The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3 ... 5

We still need a sitewide tags solution? (121 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just wondering since I upgraded mine and reworked it.

1) Install a copy of Wordpress somewhere handy. I've put mine in http://daria.be/tags

As an aside, make sure you have this name blocked out from your WPMu install or otherwise you're going to have issues.

2) Install the WPMufeed plugin and get it working.

3) Grab a copy of the reworked WP-Autoblog that I'm going to stick up over in http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com once I get this finished.

4) Install the plugin but do not activate it yet.

5) Go through your WordPress install that you have setup for the tags and make the following changes:

- Uncheck 'Anyone can register'
    - Change the Syndication Feeds to Summary (Optional but suggested)
    - Bump up the Show the Most Recent: to something like 25. (Again optional but what the hey)
    - ***VERY IMPORTANT Turn off the first three options under 'Usual settings for an article' ***VERY IMPORTANT*** This way you're not sending out pings to the posts you're importing. Did I say how important it was to turn off those options?
    - Change Permalinks to 'Date and name based'

6) Open up wp-includes/link-template.php (Please back it up first) and find the function get_permalink. It's near the top. Go to the end of the function. See that array with like ten lines? From the line after the ); at the end of the array to the line before this - "// get permalink from post ID", replace it with the following:

$permalink = $post->guid;
    return apply_filters('post_link', str_replace($rewritecode, $rewritereplace, $permalink), $post);
    } else { // if they're not using the fancy permalink option
    $permalink = $post->guid;
    return apply_filters('post_link', $permalink, $post);
    return;
    }
    }

And then save the file.

7) Bump up the WPMuFeed to a high number depending on how currently active your blog is currently. Say 1000. (You can change it back after the first import.)

8) Activate the plugin.

9) Make sure you did remember to stop the pings as above.

9) On your tag system install, go Dashboard -> Options -> WP Autoblog. Enter the URL of your WPMuFeed into the basic settings box on the left. I also have chosen the Excerpt and give them credit options.

10) Double check the pings are in fact turned off. :)

11) Click on Run Script Now.

It should import all those posts into the database. here's the neat thing though. Those changes that you made to link-template.php up above allows the tag system to load the URL of the individual blog as the permalink instead of what it normally does.

Afterwards set WPMuFeed back to a more normal number.

I believe this is all correct and hope someone can test it for me.

thanks,
    -drmike

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Change in plans. I just realized that WP-Autoblog is a multi file install.

Install the plugin from here.

Replace the wp-autoblog.php file with this one. Depending on your browser, you may have to copy and paste out of the page source, not what shows up in your browser window.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hello drmike

I would love to implement this solution but still am not 100% if I understood you right:

1) Install a copy of Wordpress somewhere handy. I've put mine in http://daria.be/tags

As an aside, make sure you have this name blocked out from your WPMu install or otherwise you're going to have issues.

do you really mean installing a copy of wordpress (you did not say wp by mistake instead of wpmu?) If you really mean wordpress, I think I get the idea, but will wpmu not interact with wp when going to http://mysite/tags when that is a real directory where my wp sits and not to be handled as a virtual directory by wpmu?

4. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you drmike. I used above method in wpmu 1.1 and it works fine, even with non-english unicode characters.

One question: How do you pull categories list in this page:
    http://daria.be/tags
    and show category name size corresponding to posts in that category?

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just reading back through this Mike, and I must say it's "pretty sneaky".

Tell you what though, it should work like a champ and with a little bit of custom goodness with the WP install, could very well be quite the fix without modifying any MU files.

I think I might play around with this one. :D

(Side benefit: post a search to the tag install, and there's the sitewide search!)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Will test this ASAP. :D
    (which means next week. sigh.)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's copy of WordPress. It's a seperate install from yoru WPMu install. You're changing core files so I don't think it would work on your WPMu installs. It has to be seperate.

edit: A quick check of my install shows that I didn't have any htaccess forwarding to point visitors past the WPMu install to get to the subdirectory. I'm using subdomains.

The tag clog is from here dropped into a Page Template for the theme. Also using the plugin from here to assign the home page.

I still have to readd in the links to the tag cloud that I had in my WPMu install. For that, you're going to have to edit the core files of WPMu. I'll write that up when I get a chance and bundle everything into a zip file that may actually work this time. :)

8. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you drmike. It's working beautiful.
    I installed this under wpmufolder/tags directory, and wonder if there is a way to import header and footer from main MU install?

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Gotta admit that I just copied over the theme to the new site. The header and fotter files do do calls so it would probably be best not to mix the sites as much as possible.

10. qza
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you drmike.

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not a problem. :)

12. mrmumu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I sounds like a great idea!
    But I get this error when I tried it out.
    Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1290, column 47) in /home/salbloge/public_html/tags/wp-content/plugins/wp-autoblog/rss_fetch.inc on line 237
    What is going on here?

13. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bare bones rss specs in wpmufeed.php? I pass all mine through Feed Burner which seems to clean them up nicely. Just added this tags workaround to Anarchy blogs and looks like it's working nicely so far. Probably a better and more manageable bet than the mu hack with global cats ... ?

14. mrmumu
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do you think my problem is a htaccess one. I did every thing Dr Mike said and I still get the same error.[
    Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1290, column 47) in /home/salbloge/public_html/tags/wp-content/plugins/wp-autoblog/rss_fetch.inc on line 237
    Here is a copy of my htaccess file what am I doing worng?
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# Rewrite http://www.domain.com to domain.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*)?/?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

15. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you try using feedburner to clean the sitewide feed up? It works for me with this tags solution as well as for itunes podcasts, and feed readers in general... the access rules look fine at a glance but the rss error is the same one I got and is usually a 'not well formed' feed, especially the sitewide feed. You can validate it at http://validator.w3.org/feed/ to see if there's a problem post.

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having to drop feeds through feedbruner as well now. I seem to have developed an orential following lately.

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

All these "character" problems are making me kinda glad to be in a small, english based niche. lol

Still haven't picked this one up to play with yet, but I will be later this afternoon.

The auto-blog is the key, and could solve soooo many problems.
    Sitewide search, sitewide tags, all kinds of stuff.

// Edit/Add

I'm wondering what a WP install with say, 1million posts would be like.

If you had say, 100 users, and they each had 200 posts,
    that's a lot of entries, and that's a low end at 20k posts.

How's this working with your users Doc, as the seperate WP install grows?

I know it can handle it number-wise, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't be a huge hog beast.

18. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually you've got sitewide search with the sitewide tags. Just add in a search to teh tag blog.

19. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um yeah, that's what I was getting at.

Search the tag blog, and make a "search entire network" widget, that posts to the tag site. ;)

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Most of my users are just setting up blogs and I never see them again. Lots of spammers. Rather annoying actually.

That and Blogger beta users who are importing via rss to my site and then using the exporter to go voer to wp.com

I still only have about 5 actual bloggers.

21. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why would they import to you, then export to wp.com?

Makes no sense to me. lol

Kinda like this funny story.

Had a client that wanted to add a blog to their site. OK, so I put together a nice design and implemented WP. Lovely. No problems, all is well.

Go to launch the site, and they make the "panicked" comment: "You gotta take all those damn "edit this page (or post)" links out and QUICK! I've told some of my people about this and I ABSOLUTELY can't have them seeing those old quick edit links you used when building the site!"

This went on for 2 hours yesterday. I was ready to jump off a bridge, laughing all the way.

What's even worse, is that had come up before, and been explained before when I first setup their username.

So, end users that make no sense are definitely something I can relate to. lol

22. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why would they import to you, then export to wp.com?

That was the work around over at wp.com for those trying to get away from the Blogger Beta.

23. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm just trying out the advanced search wp plugin on my tags install and yeh, this kills 2 birds etc. Tags and sitewide search.

I'm importing full posts and the db would grow huge with enough active bloggers but I guess it's better in a separate db than a global cats table in mu(??).

24. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just did it as a completly different install with it's own database. I'm not importing the full posts either though.

25. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeh, I've got a separate wp 2.1 install in /tags as per your workaround, but importing excerpts would limit the search a fair bit. I'm using iSearch on another mu and it's efficient and configurable, and regularly trawls the mu website with a spider to update its db.

I guess searching a fat wp db is going to be a lot slower than a custom search app, and doing maintenance deleting outdated wp posts will be a much bigger pain in the long run if not impossible. Not to mention iSearch also trawls the pages and comments, every linked web page on site.

26. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

have you tried Collin's (FilmJournal) WPMU Search plugin Malcolm? It rocks the boat like Cuba Gooding Jr in Boat Trip.

27. mrmumu
    Posted 17 years ago #

Using feedbruner I got the rss to work right. Nice fixes.

28. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

have you tried Collin's (FilmJournal) WPMU Search plugin Malcolm?

Ahhh that's right ... last I looked it was flaky on sub domains but now is updated and good to go. Cheers suleiman, will test it out.

29. mrmumu
    Posted 17 years ago #

Does it take alot of DB space?

30. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

What doesn't take up some space when you're talking sitewide tags and searches?

1 2 3 ... 5

About this Topic