The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Help with MU troubleshooting (5 posts)

1. journeyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alrighty... anyone want to tell me what's going on here?

I installed mu in a folder called "blogs" on my root.

I had the host company set up a wildcard DNS so that blogs.mydomain.com pulls up the registration interface.

You can go all the way through, although it's trying to set the blog up like this: blogname.blogs.mydomain.com

I would prefer it to be blogs.monticellolive.com/blogname

Here's the bigger deal. After the user gets the confirmation email, he cannot get to the login screen. (try it yourself at blogs.monticellolive.com)

AND, if I try to go to the admin panel now at blogs.monticellolive.com/wp-admin, I can't get past the login window. It just keeps refreshing to that same window.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, ditch the wildcard. You don't need it since you're not using the subdomains.

If you've set up blogs as a subdirectory within your root, that would make it mydomain.tld/blogs You have to install it as a subdirectory within your host's backend.

When you installed it, which selection did you pick? Subdomains or subdirectories?

Please open up your wp-config.php file and let us know what you have for the VHOSTS selection.

Your other question is related to the issue. I just think you got confused during the setup and combined the subdirectories and subdomain options.

3. journeyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, I would really like it to be theirblognamechoice.monticellolive.com.

And you're right... I was confused. Still am. ;)

But here tis:
    define('VHOST', 'yes');
    $base = '/blogs/';

4. journeyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

BTW, I have the monticellolive.com main blog running on WP 2.07 in the root folder and MU is installed in the "blogs" folder. Just for clarity's sake.

5. journeyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, and I contacted the host company about the process and this is the reply they sent back:

The 500 errors you get is due to the following error.

[Wed Jan 31 03:26:43 2007] [error] [client 72.36.213.242] mod_rewrite: maximum number of internal redirects reached. Assuming configuration error. Use 'RewriteOptions MaxRedirects' to increase the limit if neccessary.
    [Wed Jan 31 03:26:43 2007] [error] [client 72.36.213.242] mod_rewrite: maximum number of internal redirects reached. Assuming configuration error. Use 'RewriteOptions MaxRedirects' to increase the limit if neccessary.

Here is what my htaccess.dist file says:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

# Rewrite http://www.domain.com to domain.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*)?/?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]