The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomains setup (12 posts)

1. tipiak
    Posted 17 years ago #

Good Afternoon,

I would like to try to install WordpressMu with Subdomains.
    I try to find some information on this forum or on Google to setup Wildcard DSN in Apache, but i was unable to find "low level" information.
    Does anyone knows a good "point and click" tutorial that describes step by step how to setup Apache (On linux) to work with subdomains.
    Thanks for your help.

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm pretty darn sure this has been covered before.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, Apache doesn't have a click and point interface. There are instructions within the readme file included with the download as well as a link to a fairly detailed article on the subject.

You may want to contact your host for assistance as well if you don't have root access to your box.

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is one of those questions where a cut and paste answer would come in handy.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I swear I'm going to work on the trac wiki one of these days...

I was hoping to do it today but I'm still plowing through the wp.com forums since SOMEONE has to answer every single thread over there after I have. *sigh*

I really don't think the topic is that hard.

- Contact host.
    - Request Add in wildcards to DNS and Apache
    - Wait for response

In CPanel, this is host level stuff anyway. You can't do it as an end user unless you have a reseller account. I have my own Direct Admin boxes setup to do that anyway as a default.

6. tipiak
    Posted 17 years ago #

No,
    I'm sorry. what i would like to say as "point and click" is someting like that :
    - edit the XXXXX file in your YYYY directory and add the following line :
    "....."

this question is for a dedicated server (a linux install on a computer where i have a command line access).
    Thank you for your answears

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I'm looking at the install instructions over on trac and for Apache, it lists the three things you need to do very specificly. As to DNS, it links to Matt's post about how to modify your Zone file and gives an example of what it should look like when you're done.

We can't say look in YYYY directory since nearly every Linux distro is different in where they put stuff and backend software like CPanel changes that even more. For example CPanel makes a new httpd.conf file for each of it's hosted domains while Apache just has the one. A simple find command should help you find the files discussed in those two links that you need to modify. Matt even lists where the files are on his box as an example although that may not match up with what you have.

A Google search for me pulls up a number of articles on the subject.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Like drmike mentioned, different distros is different. The best advice I could give would be to choose a distro and stick with it. For instance, i'm very familiar with CentOS and Fedora but can only pick my way around with others.

9. bradmkjr
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

I see an opportunity to make a little bit of quick cash. I should start a small side business just installing MU on servers. Once you have done it once it isn't bad. I think alot of people who see the power of MU don't understand the complexity of it, since they are just used to the very simple wordpress install. I'm sure it is against a policy to make business offers on this forum, but would it be wrong come up with a flat rate for assisting with MU installs?

10. sycophant
    Posted 17 years ago #

Took me about 5 minutes to edit zone file, untar WPMU, setup MySQL DB and configure for base install.

I guess different levels of server access complicate that.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

And less than an optimal amount of knowledge as well, unfortunately.

Guess people still don't realize that installing MU "essentially" just put them into the hosting/server admin biz, in a sense.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Depends on how they use it, I guess. Honestly, installation is the hardest part. Running the site has been fairly easy now that most of the kinks have been worked out.

About this Topic