The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Exec-PHP / BDP RSS Aggregation (10 posts)

1. mkg
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using Wordpress M-U 1.0 in a college class that I'm teaching. I've had my students set up individual blogs, and I'd now like to create a page that aggregates the post feeds of those blogs.

That's what the BDP RSS Aggregator plugin is meant to do, but one needs the ability to run PHP code in order to use it, and I'm having trouble getting the Exec-PHP to work.

I've installed and activated both BDP and Exec-PHP, but the Exec-PHP is failing a basic PHP echo test, even though I have disabled both the WYSIWYG rich editor
    and the “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically” option, as the Exec-PHP plugin maker suggests.

I find that when I publish a page with the line (<?php echo “This is the Exec-PHP ‘Hello World’”; ?>), WP M-U strips the line of code out of the page entirely. When I go back to edit the page after publishing it, there is simply nothing there.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? How are you getting the BDP aggregator plugin to work on your own sites?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Some of us are not using it. :) Get the Sitewide feed plugin, and then get the Most Recent posts plugin (of which there are a couple).

http://www.itdamager.com/plugins/wpmu-sitewide-feed/
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Most-recent-posts

3. mkg
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, Andrea -- that would be a great solution, if only I hadn't set up WordPress M-U with subdirs, instead of subdomains (looks like Sitewide feed only supports the latter).

Sigh.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh wait, brain fart. The most-recent-post plugin pulls stuff right out of the database.

(Jeepers, and my husband wrote it, I should have remembered that. Low caffiene day. :) )

Skip the sitewidefeed and just use the other one. :)

The otehr thing you coudl do, is insert the BDP php code right into the template file of the theme you're using, even making a copy of page.php and forcing that page to use that template file, and make sure that theme is unavailable to your users.

5. mkg
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks, andrea_r. I'll give it a shot. I appreciate your advice.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrea, what's your husbands number again? ;)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's 1-800-ask-andrea and then I pass it on to him if I don't know. :)

8. unomateo
    Posted 17 years ago #

To get exec-php to work in WPMU 1.0

I had to remove this from line 35 the widget code:

wp_filter_post_kses()

replace with: $newoptions[$number]['text']

it works for me, hope it works for you

9. tbisaacs
    Posted 17 years ago #

@unomateo,

Can you explain this further? Which file are you removing the code from? I can't find it under line 35 (or anywhere) in my exec-php.php file.

Thanks!

10. rengel
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found the file that unomateo talks about at /wp-includes/widgets.php line 653 just after stripslashes (wp_filter_post_kses( $widget_text['text'] ). But when I changed this info to what he states, $newoptions[$number]['text'], I get an unexpected parse error...

About this Topic