The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do you add authors to a WPMU blog? (15 posts)

1. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I must be missing something as I can't see anyway to setup a new user within a WPMU blog, over at http://rita.911blogs.com I want to let some people be authors but the only add user function I can find is "Add user from community", which doesn't sound right and I tried it without any luck as well.

So what am I missing? Will an upgrade to a more recent nightly fix it? Apparently I've had some press coverage in the UK for the site so I want to get it setup and running with authors as soon as possible. :)

2. partypageusa
    Posted 18 years ago #

The add user has been commented out. you can enable it if u uncomment it. or you can have the person set up a blog and than you can add the person from the community.

3. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks! That explains it, I guess that is to prevent collisions between blog accounts and users within the blogs, I'll just have to manage such collisions myself until they sort that out. I think there was a recent commit to the core Wordpress code to start addressing this issue that caused some controversy on wp-hackers.

4. rezilient
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Is it wise to allow my users to add authors/editors/etc. (ie. more users) to their blogs? What is the collision thing you guys were talking about? Thanks.

5. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

There could be issues with authors and blogs having the same name, I'm not sure what if any problems that would cause.

6. rezilient
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

So what do I need to uncomment to allow my WP users to add new authors? Currently I only see a form to add community members..?

7. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

If you need to ask that question then you really shouldn't be doing it but in the interest of good faith the file is wp-inst/wp-admin/users.php.

8. rezilient
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ya, I probably won't touch it in that case, until someone tells me its safe.

9. billn
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can someone show me how to put the Add user option back?
    I found users.php but don't know how to uncomment it.
    Also, How do I add a user to the community? I set up a single blog for many authors. I would like each of them to be able to log in to post their own articles.

Thanks

Bill N

10. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm, the ticket list is getting a bit long...

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

(actually, I think the ticket list is quite short. TWiki's list runs into the thousands but has higher churn http://develop.twiki.org/~develop/cgi-bin/view/Bugs/AllOutStandingItems )

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed, the regular WP trac is something like 700+ the last time I looked. A good chunk of it though is from folks who should be in the forums asking their questions.

WPMU trac is usually under a dozen items normally.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I still fail to see why this is even in trac. BillN said in another thread he's using an older build and didn't want to upgrade (for various reasons) as the latest version DOES have this in it.

15. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

As it hadn't been in trac I couldn't determine whether it had been addressed.

I've closed ticket 148.

Thanks. M.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by jaseone
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver