The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Uploads not working from WPMU fresh install (4 posts)

1. JohnA
    Posted 17 years ago #

From a fresh install of WPMU 1.0 file uploads do not work (the files are created in the correct structure below wp-content/blogs.dir but are not accessible from domain.com/files/ )

This is probably a htaccess or installation issue that I can't get to work.

I'm using subdomains and a vhost so my structure is:

/srv/www/vhosts/domain.com

Can someone help?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

- Good checking on if teh file is at least getting there. That was going to be my first question.

- What does the link to a random file look like? IS it pointing in the right place?

- Does your .htaccess file look like your htaccess-dist file?

3. JohnA
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dr Mike,

Thanks for responding.

As sometimes happens on these occasions, I solved the problem myself through some minor changes. It's like suddenly recovering from illness while waiting to see the doctor.

Since I have two WPMU installations (one live and one test) I was able to experiment with various parameters on a WPMU system without inconveniencing bloggers.

The primary reason that uploads did not work was that the Apache settings were not correct. What I had was wrong in the AllowOverride directive which was set to None when it should be

' <Directory "/srv/www/vhosts/domain.com">
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride Options FileInfo
    </Directory>'

..because otherwise it won't read the .htaccess file at all.

But when I transferred this proper directive to the live WPMU system, the server gave a 500 error when trying to access anything! And it was caused by the AllowOverride directive being anything other than None.

A quick check of the domain-com-errorlog in /var/log/apache2 revealed the error:

'/srv/www/vhosts/domain.com/.htaccess: RewriteBase: argument is not a valid URL'

A squint in .htaccess showed the first two lines as

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

So for some reason in the install, the word BASE had been inserted.

Changing the beginning to:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

fixed my problem.

I'm certainly learning Apache2 advanced configuration fast this way...

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually base is in there to start with. It should be kicking out with an error if it remains. That's an upgrade within the last month or so. Have you upgraded recently? It may have been a while for you.

About this Topic