The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing Subdomain Questions (5 posts)

1. DeanStev
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, don't all post "read the manual first", as I have done :p Many times in fact :p

Ok, this is what I am trying to achieve, which is what I thought the manual was doing too, but somewhere something is going wrong.
    I've installed the MU many times, and to a degree it works.

But - the subdomains aren't. Nor is the setup of new blogs.
    I have all the wildcards in place (it's a new server, which I have root access to).
    First, I setup MU, and don't see any options whether to use subdomains or subfolders.
    I setup a new blog, on a subdomain, lets call it (as an example) demo.myblogurl.com
    The install process says its setup, and it's mailed me some stuff, which I receive.
    In that e-mail, it says the url is actually myblogurl.com/demo instead of demo.myblogurl.com

I ignore this, and proceed anyway. I then receive further emails with username and password.

I try and access demo.myblogurl.com and it redirects to the signup page.
    I access myblogurl.com/demo and the blog works.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind Regards,
    Dean

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Guess you missed this in the manual since you don't touch on it:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/DebuggingWpmu

Sounds like you installed it with subdirectories instead of subdomains. Best bet would be to clear out the database and the htaccess and wp-config.php files and start over.

3. DeanStev
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    It doesnt ask about subdomains in the installer. I downloaded it from the main site, not the SVN.

I did look at that page, but to be honest I have no idea by what you mean by the first point. I setup *.mydomain.tld (with my domain replaced there)

It's a cPanel server.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Open up your wp-config.php file and look for VHOST. It's probably set to no.

The subdomain/subdirectories quiestion is on the same page as where you enter your database information. It's under the heading of Blog Addresses on that page.

5. DeanStev
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmm - ok, I think theres something wrong with the archive provided on the main page - I just downloaded the latest snapshot, from SVN, and the option is there in the installer for subdomains, and they all work.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by DeanStev
  • Latest reply from DeanStev