The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Posting from Word 2007 (28 posts)

1. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hiya,

Has anyone else had problems with users posting from Word 2007 - the usual xml-rpc method isn't working out for a user on a 1.0 installation.

Cheers, James

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Word? Tell me you're making a cruel joke, James.

Please...

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Posting from *within* Word? Ye gods.

4. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not wrong - new Word wizard has three main options:

1. Create new doc
    2. Post to your blog
    3. Create textart

Well, 3 is a lie, but you get the point.

I think this is going to have a bit of a scary impact on blogging... esp. in education (not many schools use open office)... so I'm kinda keen to get it to work.

5. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Excuse me while I go throw up.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Folks, let's be good. Just because the poster is using Word doesn't mean it's not a legit question. :)

There's issues with that Live Writer thing as well or at least there was in the past with it creating it's own directories when something was uploaded. Lots of fun.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You need coffee, Doc.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wish....

End of the month too. I don't get my laptop back until I get my monthly check. I good news though is that I can refund myself for it out of the hosting funds. Just have to do the paid out myself first though.

10. JanBrasna
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think it's actually pretty cool to have WP listed in the API providers in Word. I try not to blame folks for using Word (as much as I dislike it...), I rather find ways how to strip the evil MS HTML tags from the output and similar. Many enterprise level CMS systems use publishing from Word as they apparently know that many schools, businesses or simly BFUs use it.

I think that the direct FTP access would be a problem with WPMU setup as the binary data can't (?) be sent via the XMLRPC (or Word can't do that?), rather it tries to upload it with FTP. One would need to generate FTP access to the upload directories for the particular user to make this feature work.

11. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

You don't need ftp if publishing through the xmlrpc interface. Your client is supposed to encode the binary files (like an email attachment) before doing a HTTP_UPLOAD and is then returned the proper url by the xmlrpc server.

12. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would encourage everyone to use Office 2007. It is a truly excellent productivity suite from Microsoft.

I'm an avid Apple fanboy, and have been for a long time now, but I mut give credit where credit is due. Office 2007 is not without its weaknesses, but it is a powerhouse in comparison to '03.

13. JanBrasna
    Posted 17 years ago #

Didn't know that Donncha, thanks for info.

14. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm a dill... all the user had to do was to use xmlrpc.php rather than xml-rpc.php

Excuse me while I go and throw up on myself :)

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is that so...

Doh!

16. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

farms,

What about images? I thought that word required an ftp account to upload files to, but sans that capability how are images handled?

17. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

"You don't need ftp if publishing through the xmlrpc interface"... apparently... I'll get my user to report back.

18. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

makes sense, that's what flock uses and it doesn't ask for ftp account details.

19. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would encourage everyone to use Office 2007.

You guys give the poster crap about using Word but that statement goes by? :)

20. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wasn't touching it with a 50ft pole, Doc.

For my 2¢ on it, miscrosloth can take office and shove it up there with their heads.

( Better, Doc? :D )

21. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I can't comment on Office 2007 because I haven't seen it, but I'd bet real cash money that all the truly excellent good bits and improvements are stolen from OS.

And, you know, bloated and stuff. :D

22. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry guys, but I'm really interested in this.

I found this
    http://www.spittleandink.com/isis/img/wordblogging/wordblogging.htm

but it seems that the images folder is not the same in wp and in wpmu (where there is the date : 2007/03/
    Could you help me with this ?

It would be great if "normal users" could post everything in their wp when they use Office 2007 (and some do ;) )

23. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

Apparently, everything is fine using Windows Live Writer.

Benjamin

24. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, here I found an answer :

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/97199?replies=3#post-530521

Wixona, I had the same problem, check to see if you have file uploads sorted by date. It outs all your uploads into folders by month. I unchecked that and now It works beautifully.

But I couldn't find this in wpmu.

Thank you for your help

25. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Donncha mentions what to do up above. Link

26. enseignement
    Posted 17 years ago #

yes, but it does not work ... :(

27. wpvince
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone know if Open office supports posting/blogging to Wordpress, or have M$ taken the lead on this one? ;-)

- Vince

28. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't touch either one actually. Ultraedit here. Religious nut that he is.

About this Topic