The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

localisation of mu for university blogs (4 posts)

1. aacar
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi folks,

we're a german university setting up a university-wide multiblogging system and have chosen wpmu for our purposes. i've already had some contact with edublogs.org and the guys at harvard on this and they seemed to have good experiences so far.

our problem at this point is localization. as a lot of english text is "hidden" in the php files of wpmu, localization is one heck of a problem as the german .mo for wp only covers parts of wpmu. I've seen that a few people here (i.e. the gigalinux guys) had the same problem. Could we (german speaking folks) get together on this?

Is there any ongoing efforts for a multilingual package? I've seen that some people have been working on french, spanisch, portugese, polish and chinese versions as well. Is anyone here interested in cooperating to gather the localization efforts for mu (similar to section in the wp codex)?

btw, we have some potential 40K users. the site will be up sometime in march / april. I'll be able to post more once we got clearance.

bye,
    AEA

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any bit that you see as not being open for localization should be reported in trac as I believe it's supposed to be 100% translatable.

You should be able to pull out your own *.pot file out of WPMu. We discuss it in this thread.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. achtundsiebzig
    Posted 17 years ago #

4. aacar
    Posted 17 years ago #

hi,
    thanks folks! localization is on the way. site is already set up and now in beta stage. check out

http://blogs.fu-berlin.de/

the free university of berlin is hosting this service for its 40.000 users (students + faculty). we just got started ;)

About this Topic