The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sections for Bloggers - possibly even subdomains (5 posts)

1. trivum
    Posted 17 years ago #

Would it be possible to put different bloggers into different sections (and then, ideally, have an aggregator blog for each section).

For example, say my site is about cars. I would like to have:

Fords
    cars.com/fords/blogger1 ... or even fords.cars.com/blogger1
    cars.com/fords/blogger2
    cars.com/fords/blogger2

Hondas
    cars.com/hondas/blogger1
    cars.com/hondas/blogger2
    cars.com/hondas/blogger2

And then I would like to have a page/blog that aggregates each blog from the individual sections so that you could click on a link to see the blogger1's page, or you could see all the latest posts from blogger 1, 2, and 3.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

You could do the fords.cars.com/blogger1 bit, just use multiple installs of WPMU.

3. trivum
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the reply.

One issue is that I would like to have a A LOT of sections (with only a few bloggers in each section - this would not be an open multiblog where anyone could sign up).

Is there a hack that would make it possible to control all these bloggers from the same admin backend, or would I need to go to each admin backend of each install to control the bloggers in that section? Could each install use the same database - would that do it?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If it's a closed system, why use MU at all?

Use WP, and then use categories for all your content.

If it's an "I want different themes" thing, WP can handle it, if you understand the template hierarchy, and what you can do with an individual template file.

5. trivum
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Use WP, and then use categories for all your content."

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into templates a little more deeply.

About this Topic