The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Swift SMTP plugin for WPMU (18 posts)

1. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have made ShiftThis SMTP WordPress plugin compatible with WPMU. The plugin has been tested both on 1.0 and 1.1.1 versions.

It uses SwiftMailer instead of PHPMailer to connect to external SMTP servers. SwiftMailer is claimed(link) to be better than PHPMailer in many aspects, and most importantly, it supports Gmail SMTP servers using TLS.

Download from WPMUdev.org and check here for installation/configuration guide.

This will be the initial release, and the plugin will be improved later on.

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

this is especially useful for those of you that are having problems with hotmail blocking your activation mails i take it?

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you use your google smtp access, it might.

4. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Many of Chinese email providers will block emails from unauthorized IP addresses.

Using Gmail SMTP, it definitely helped us to get emails delivered. But if you are using a less-known SMTP server, your email might still get blocked by hotmail.

5. microbe
    Posted 17 years ago #

Kingler - tried http://en.72pines.org/wordpress-mu/ - small, tiny problem, I am getting 404s from all over your site.

6. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry, I finished the upgrade from 1.0 to WPMU 1.1.1 and thought everything should work and went skiing ...

Forgot about the .htaccess file :(

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

LOL

Murphy's law, in full effect.

8. microbe
    Posted 17 years ago #

oops :-)

I have SMTP set up ok for the moment, but yours looks like a good plugin - when you have the options page finished I think it will be great. I will look forward to it.

Thanks

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Many of Chinese email providers will block emails from unauthorized IP addresses.

*snort* Pity they can't do that with their end users.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'll drink to that. ;)

11. coinoperatedboy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is this compatible with google apps? And if so, are you willing to write instructions on how?

12. Amplify
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anyone got problems with this?

Iam using Gmail as my SMTP server and it works perfectly when i use the "test email" function thats built in the plugin.

But when i try to register to the site i get this error:

"Notice: The sender parameter must either be a valid string email address or an instance of Swift_Address. in /var/www/wpmu/wp-content/plugins/Swift/lib/Swift.php on line 403
    Message failed to send to EMAIL@HOST.com from MYPORTAL.COM "

Ofcourse iam using the latest stable versions of smtp plugin and wpmu and i do not have any other email/smtp plugins installed.

13. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Compatible with Wordpress 2.0 - 2.1, which means it's old and untested on newer version of WPMU. It probably needs to be updated.

14. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have just been searching around for a plugin to allow me to email all of my user blog admins...

MrBrian can you point me in the right direction? I've looked at this one and at Mass Mailer, but it's unclear if either of these are tested and stable. I'm running 1.5 RC1 version of MU. Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated:)

15. Amplify
    Posted 15 years ago #

MrBrian. Thank you very much for your reply! Iam very grateful for any help. :)

Do you know of any newer smtp plugin that will get things rollin'?

I have been searching ALOT about this problem of mine and i just cant seem to find any information on the subject and i doubt that every wpmu portalowner sets up his own emailserver to go with it?

How did you all solve this issue?

16. Amplify
    Posted 15 years ago #

Update:
    Kingler that is the creator of this plugin has been so kind and helped me! Thank you very much once again! :)

I used this version instead and edited the SMTP files into the "shiftthis-smtp.php" file and put them all in "mu-plugins" folder. And now it is working!
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Swift-SMTP-Mailer

17. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Amplify

"I used this version instead and edited the SMTP files into the "shiftthis-smtp.php" file and put them all in "mu-plugins" folder"

So what exactly did you do?

18. iamsgf
    Posted 15 years ago #

Any idea what this means:

$st_smtp_config['ssl'] = "tls";

what is tls? what are the potential variables that can be there?

About this Topic