The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can I use wordpress 2.0.x with WPMU? (15 posts)

1. Ketwaroo
    Posted 17 years ago #

As usual, It's possible that this isn't the right place to ask this but:

wpmu uses wordpress 2.1.x as blogging engine, right?

I don't blog so often so i didn't really have a chance to notice it uptil now, but.... wordpress 2.1 is crap. Well not really that crap. From a coding perspective, its cleaner than 2.0. But some new features are really annoying.

i type <i class="foobar">foobar</i> in the code view editor and it has the gall to change it to

<em>foobar</em>
    on saving! For crying out loud! Were it for the user comments, it might have made sense but I'm the bloody admin, I'm bloody well sure I know what I'm doing!

anywho, i'm not here to whine on the wp2.1

From what i gathered, the multiuser part is a wrapper around the single user blog engine, right?

so what i want to do is use wp2.0 instead of 2.1. Or rather, make a hybrid of the two. Use the cleaner template tags and other fixes and interesting features from 2.1 and the code editor ans some tested and proven features from 2.0.

I would like to know if that is at all possible. To use wp2.0 instead of wp2.1 I mean.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

wpmu uses wordpress 2.1.x as blogging engine, right?

Nope, we're running 2.2 code. When new code appears in the development version, we get it as well.

From what i gathered, the multiuser part is a wrapper around the single user blog engine, right?

Afraid not either. Granted the single blog code is in there but it's intermixed with the multi blog code as well.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

A search of the forum here would have revealed that MU is actually bleeding edge 2.2, not 2.1.

And unless you're a "top notch" coder, backing it down to 2.0.x would probably "kick your butt", so to speak.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's bleeding edge for wordpress is standard for us.

5. Ketwaroo
    Posted 17 years ago #

2.2 may be bleeding edge but does it have to repeat the mistakes of 2.1?

And unless you're a "top notch" coder, backing it down to 2.0.x would probably "kick your butt", so to speak.

Ah, sorry. I am a "pretty darn good" coder. not quite "top notch" but i manage. The only thing preventing me from killing off the wp2.2 part is time. Eventually, I could create a different multiuser blogging engine based off wmpu and wp2.0. we're still in opensource country after all.

but thanks. for the heads up on which version wpmu uses.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, that foobar issue you mention is probably with TinyMCE, not wordpress.

Not sure what you mean by other mistakes. You're going to have to give specifics. We don't read minds here.

You can pull down older versions of WPMu from wpmudev.org. Do note though they they do have the security issues that the earlier versions of wordpress have.

7. Ketwaroo
    Posted 17 years ago #

now now, let's not get touchy. I said 'mistakes' in a general sense and not "other" mistakes.
    There are some annoyances in moving from 2.0 to 2.1. Most humans resent change at some level. I'm not that different.

Plus, you may just have solved my problem my dear Dr Mike (or is it just drmike).

just need to look of a less advanced code editor for wordpress. or cannibalise the one used in wp2.0 hehehe...

thanks people. finding a solution was quick.
    (a moderatr plz add a [resolved] to the thread title. It won't let me do it.)

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Or not use the crutch at all?

Personally, I don't use it as for me it only gets in my way.

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

@lunabyte

did I get you right? If I completely disable the wysiwyg editor I can type in my code and it gets not stripped/filtered? Or just not as severe as with the wysiwyg editor?

10. Ketwaroo
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's just as bad unfortunately

div tags still gets turned in to p tags
    i -> em
    b -> strong
    can't use javascript either since script tags get dubbed out.

wp2.0 was sweet and did what you told it to do(with a minimum of fuss). A MU version of it would make a lot of people happy IMHO.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I asked because of this topic I opened: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3466&replies=10

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

So ketwaroo, it look like what you're really asking is how you can keep it from stripping out certain tags in posts and/or sidebars?

Cuz that's a different quesiton from the OP, and one we've covered (sort of). :)

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually they removed the resolved. *grumble*

drmike or Dr. Mike is fine. I answer to both. Just as long as you don't call me a bum like my ex mother in law did. *grumble*

I was just asking about the issues you were having since you didn't give any details. Kind of a pet peeve when I get tickets with "It doesn't work. Fix it." as the entire body. We get a lot of those over in wp.com land.

14. Ketwaroo
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was just asking about the issues you were having since you didn't give any details.

Nothing i can't fix on my own. but I can always use hints so as where to start looking. Sorry for the trouble doc.

Initially, I was asking if it was possible to use an ealier version of worpress instead of the latest one with wpmu.
    The answer to that question is no(but that could change).

Now the reason why I wanted to use wp2.0 is because of the new fangled WYSIWYG introduced as of wp2.1. Especially the nasty habit is has of correcting the code for you and actually breaking it.

Following Dr Mike's adice, I found that the blogger can be given back some control over his/her formatting by modifying TinyMCE's config file

./wp-include/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_config.php
    and tiny_mce.js as well

options are documented here:
    http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration

But that still is not enough!
    there's kses.php found in ./wp-include/

It's what has been mercilessly butchering my formatting all this time.
    Fortunately, it's just a matter of adding/modifing items in the $allowedposttags array.
    So any changes could be pluginified and dropped in the muplugin folder...

so i guess this thread has been really resolved this time.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Essentially, I guess it has.

Although I would "highly" recommend if adding to the allowed tags array that you only enable the mu-plugin for blog_id 1. In other words, you don't want regular users to be able to add javascript, etc.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Ketwaroo
  • Latest reply from lunabyte