The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

IPv6 Support (My IP is 2001618400012) (7 posts)

1. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

This should probably be filed as a support ticket (too), but as there are people who write plugins etc here, it fits the forum.

Strait to the point: WordPress MU lacks IPv6 support. Or.. not really. It works. You can read, login, write, publish, comment, have fun, it all works with IPv6 as of now. But there are some minor issues.

For example, when I post a comment my IP is (supposedly):

2001618400012 (without any . or :), which - if you are aware that IPv6 exists and that the lack of . indicates IPv6, lets you sort of make out that this guy's using

2001:0618:0400:012/64 (which is only a subnet)

The truth of the matter is that my IP in reality is something like:

2001:0618:0400:0120:0000:0000:0000:0000

or 8x sets of four digits between 0 and f.

Of course, you can learn that HE'S ON THE SUBNET 2001:0618:0400:012/64!! but I could also be on 2001:0618:0400:012f/64 for all you know and you're a long way from figuring out that 2001:0618:0400:0120:0000:0000:0000:0000 is the IP in question.

So, something to keep in mind: There are IPv6 supported WPMU sites. Make a habbit of ensuring that things work with long :-seperated IPs too. As said, there are no REAL issues with using WPMU+IPv6, it works, you can signup, blog, have fun, nothing of any real importance breaks, but there are those issues like here's-only-half-of-the-comment-posters-IP.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

This would be a WP "issue", not MU specifically.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed, best bet would be to bring it up on regular wordpress's trac: http://trac.wordpress.org

I thought we had given up on IPv6?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

It isn't really "taking off" like originally thought. But it isn't dead, yet.

Eventually, there won't be a choice though.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm just now starting to upgrade my equipment and machines. I want to be used to it by the time we're forced to switch.

However, I have a feeling it's going to be one of those "wait until the last moment" kinda thing for most people (and apparently companies).

My advice: buy a cheap router and start toying with it. sooner or later you're gonna have to use it.

6. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

WP ticket: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3987

As for "have we given up on IPv6": Yes.

I've been using IPv4 for 4 years or so. Why? My home ADSL provider only gives me 1 IPv4 IP. I've got more than 1 computer on my home network. IPv6 allows me to scp things from the outside to any box on the home network since they've all got their own real (IPv6) IP. And there are many other things that are amazingly practical about having a real IP on every computer, and DNS (AAAA) records pointing to each computer and so on (A general tip, IPv6 makes the one-firewall-on-your-network approach useless, you need a local firewall on every box). I couldn't .. live without IPv6 after using it for many years.

But that "large-scale" every-ISP-provides-IPv6 rollout? Yeah, that was talked about back in .. 2002 and where oh where is it? I've given up on that. But there are ISPs such has Norwegian powertech.no who have been providing their customers with both IPv4 and IPv6 for many years.

So Yes, I've given up on "everybody will have IPv6 soon", but the fact of the matter is that there are already a lot of IPv6 users.

One thing I've noticed by having IPv6 enabled on many websites: Lots of IPv6 addresses appear in the logs. A lot of people are already using IPv6.

Is it safe to turn IPv4 off? No, and it won't be for a very long time. But is it a good idea to support IPv6? Yes, it is.

7. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hahahah...I honestly doubt we'll ever reach IPv6.
    Do you know how many applications will break if they are required to do IPv6?

Somewhere over the rainbow.....maybe IPvXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

About this Topic