The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

blogs.dir (14 posts)

1. plcom
    Posted 17 years ago #

My problem is that I have tried uploading images---and it keeps saying:

Unable to create directory /home/parade/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Now this may be MY problem--but, I dont experience this on other--non MU accts. I try to chmod the blogs.dir to 777 and it wont let me. It only lets me to 755. Is that my problem?

By the way--I am able to 777 on other domains, on the same server.

2. plcom
    Posted 17 years ago #

I did say nevermind here...but, nope, it is still a problem. I can change permissions anywhere but here for some reason.

3. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's been known to happen :)

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

What are the permissions on the blogs.dir directory? Who owns it? What user does your web server run as? Did that user change recently?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you're not able to change permissions, it's probably owned by the user that the webserver runs as. Hmm, that would be strange since the first digit of the permissions would allow the webserver to write underneath it.

Maybe get your host to change the permissions to 777 as root?

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would suggest asking your host to first do a chown -R youruser:yourwebserver yourpath/wp-content/ followed by a chmod -R 775 yourpath/wp-content/

I got used to this from regular wordpress were I use the theme and plugins editor, basically as wpmu is not writing there, you could apply this to yourpath/wp-content/blogs.dir/

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

youruser:yourwebserver

Isn't BSD the other way? That looks backwards to me.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope. User:UserGroup

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Been years since I had a BSD box...

Thanks,
    -drmike

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Get a Mac. ;)

he he he

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have 3. They're my backup servers for my racks.

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Get a Mac. ;)

Waiting for the new MacBook Pros to come out in a few months (hopefully) :)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I guess technically its Darwin, but whatever.

I'm waiting on the new MacPro's myself. OK, so I "could" just go out and buy a couple of quad core chips and drop them in, but I'm banking there will be a few other improvements to the box as well.

Later this fall, I'll probably look at a new portable. I was considering it late last September, but the move to C2D held me up. Then I said to heck with it and decided to wait for the Santa Rosa platform, and all that.

14. camner
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic