The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Are WPMU and normal WP language files interchangeable? (10 posts)

1. WordpressChina
    Posted 17 years ago #

How interoperable are the regular WP and the WPMU? If I use the Simplified Chinese language file for 2.1.2 WP on my MU install, will it be ok? I don't want to do something that will break my installation...

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I tried that with a Romanian language file and it did not break anything, (I am still using) its just that those terms that are specific to wpmu are not translated and displayed in the default language, so my backend is like 90% romanian and 10% english for those users that selected this language

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

You should be able to create your own *.po file using poEdit, just like regular WordPress and compare the two.

4. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

It would be better to use WPMU specific language pack. We will release our version. There are quite some new strings in WPMU than normal WP.

5. frankpereiro
    Posted 17 years ago #

It shouldn't break anything.

I'm using the spanish file for Wordpress 2.1.2 and it didn't break anything. There are few things not translated but it's ok. At least you get most of your site translated.

I got me, don't remember well right know but I guess someone here in the forum posted a link to the file, some plain english Po file which I'm translating from scratch. It will take a while since the file is big but I'm not in a hurry.

6. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

Does anyone have a link to a big download pack for WPMU language files? I dont actually speak any of the languages I need (french, german, spanish) so cant find them.

7. frankpereiro
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't know of any spanish files for WPMU.

I'm doing my own translation.

If I finish translating the Po file and I see that there isn't any spanish files for WPMU, I will then have my own mo file for everyone to download. It will be translated in standard and formal spanish.

I don't know how long it will take me since the file is a bit big and nowadays I have little time to spend due to my work. But I'll try my best to have it as soon as I can.

8. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

thanks!

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

May want to search the forums. I know we have a few translations. IIRC, http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com has some as well but they may be out of date.

10. JoJoC
    Posted 16 years ago #

frankpereiro, has trabajado en el tema de la traducción, has encontrado colavoradores?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by WordpressChina
  • Latest reply from JoJoC