The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Could not execute AJAX call, Server didn't return valid a XML (13 posts)

1. dunrite67
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just upgraded to version 1.2.1 and I am getting this error when trying to spell check using Internet explorer 6 or firefox.

I was not getting this error in version 1, spell checking worked perfect

I have read the posts about this error, and used google, but I can not figure out what to do. Everyone says their is a fix, but I cant seem to get mine working.

If there are no spelling errors I dont get this error, but if there are errors I get the above error message.

2. mikekelly
    Posted 16 years ago #

We're seeing the same thing on our install here, WPMU 1.2.3 ... has anyone else seen this?

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Log out, clear your browsers file and cookie cache and try again. Something's probably clashing.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see it, but I traced mine to not have pspell installed on the server. It's a php module in Apache.

5. mikekelly
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Andrea, I'll check that tomorrow. Looks as though the spellcheck was attempting to use Google and since the machine still doesn't have access to the real world it was hanging & eventually timing out. pspell would be a useful alternative.

6. bigsur
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can any clarify if this worked or not?

I’m running Wordpress MU 1.2.5a, apache 2 and Windows; when you click on the spell check button I get a dialogue box with the following error message “Could not execute AJAX call, Server didn't return valid a XML”.

Do I have to install a plug in for this to work or do I need to enable pspell module along with installing aspel?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I eventually tracked this down through my Apache error logs, because spellcheck worked on one install and not the other on the same server, so I knew eventually I had that covered. I think ultimately i had a file missing, although I can't quite remember.

I will also say that if you're running it on Windows that might also have something to do with it.

That Ajax error is returned as a generic error message when anything along the way encounters an oops. So you really have to check the logs to narrow it down.

8. bigsur
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm getting the following error in apache error.log

[code]
    [Wed Oct 10 09:22:46 2007] [error] [client 10.*.*.*] WordPress database error: [Unknown column 'cat_' in 'order clause']\nSELECT * FROM wp_3_categories WHERE cat_ID > 0 AND link_count > 0 ORDER BY cat_ ASC \n, referer: http://myblog_address
    [/code]

9. bigsur
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could this be a big with 1.2.5a?

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

nope - I'm running 1.2.5a and I've no problems.

Its almost as if its loosing the ID part of the name. Have you edited the file at all? It might be worth downloading again and replacing the file

11. bigsur
    Posted 16 years ago #

SteveAtty – when you say that your running 1.2.5a is that on Windows? And if so did you enable pspell?

Before installing on the server I tested by doing local installs on two separate windows machines, with clean downloads for each. All 3 of the Wordpress MU installations exhibit the same problem when the spell check icon is clicked.

12. silverfox47
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am running 2.3.1 and I saw the same error - I fixed it by modifying the config.php in
    /wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/spellchecker

as follows:

Removing the // comments from this line
    require_once("classes/TinyPspellShell.class.php");

and adding comments to this line
    // require_once("classes/TinyGoogleSpell.class.php");

13. spllogics
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by dunrite67
  • Latest reply from spllogics