The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding new roles in WPMU (13 posts)

1. kmccann
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello,

Just getting going with WPMU here. I want to understand roles and capabilities more and tried to create a new role using the Role Manager plugin. I entered "Uploader" as the new role name, selected only the "Upload Files" capability, then pressed "Create Role." I then got an empty page. The new role was never created.

Is Role Manager supposed to work with WPMU?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. kmccann
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just saw the answer in a previous post. Sorry.

But this reminds me of one of my main WPMU questions at this early stage. How do I know which plugins work with WPMU, which do not, and whether there are plans to fix the ones that are not? Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks,
    Kevin

3. stgoos
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Kevin,

There is a modified version of the plugin around:

http://www.im-web-gefunden.de/wordpress-plugins/role-manager/

You might need to activate / deactivate the plugin (and your other plugins) several before the plugin actually works. This was the case with the wpmu 1.2.1 nightly from April 1st.

Cheers.

Steven

4. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I noticed the same behavior. I added the following after line 172 and it worked.

if (!isset($wp_roles))
    	$wp_roles = new WP_Roles();

It seems like it needs to be added every time

global $wp_roles;
    is used.

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Probably could just add the new roles into the system. Take a look at wp-admin/upgrade-schema.php for how they're created.

6. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Aha, I've been looking for the place where roles are defined for a new blog. I guess if I want to change the default roles I'll have to hack up that file then, huh?

I really wish some explanation of roles was given in the admin pages. The user is given a list of roles to choose from... and that's it. How are they supposed to know how an Editor is different from an Author, or what a Contributor is? Trial-and-error does not make for a user-friendly experience.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

8. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, I found that page on my own and it was very helpful. But why is none of that information presented to the user? Why must the user search for information outside the application in order to use it? The admin interface offers no hints what-so-ever as to what the difference is between the default five roles, and that makes for a lost and frustrated user.

9. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

So submit the code doing this:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org

Most of us have manuals or FAQs on our sites covering this though.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

And it's a long-term "thing" with WP (and thus MU) that all docs are not bundled with the software to keep things light.

11. matasbbb
    Posted 16 years ago #

if u want Role Manager work on wpmu juo must include lines if (!isset($wp_roles))
    $wp_roles = new WP_Roles();
    after all lines
    global $wp_roles;
    in role-manger.php

12. Marja99
    Posted 16 years ago #

2matasbbb

can you explain the role-manager.php adjustment to make it more clear? Thanks in advance!

13. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@All

Can anyone explain what 2matasbbb said 6 months ago. I didn't quite understood which lines are going where inside role-manager.php

Thanks

About this Topic