The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Which spam plugin do you use? (8 posts)

1. alexz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm looking for an spam plugin for my mu install and now asking you to reveal which spam plugin you use.

And, please explain if the plugin has to be installed in a special way.

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

there are several options:

for comment spam:
    - akismet (which you can enable for yourself only with your personal key or if you have bought a key for all blogs)
    - spam karma (sk2) use the modded version for wpmu from wpmudev.org

for signup (splogs):
    - any captcha plugin that works with wpmu, do a search

for general access to your blogs:
    - bad behaviour (blocks access from bots, bad browsers, other stuff)

you can safely combine all these, the result will be an almost perfect protected wpmu install

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"you can safely combine all these, the result will be an almost perfect protected wpmu install"

That's true.

Bad behavior is my first line of "defense", followed by a custom captcha. These cover comments, and my registration form as well.

Additionally, comments get run through SK2 as well. I wish posts could be run through SK2, but I haven't had time to mess with it yet. Well, the first 2 or 3 posts a user makes anyway.

Is what I'm running overkill? Probably, but I hate spam and to me it's worth it.

4. alexz
    Posted 16 years ago #

SK2 does not work in any other language than English.

This is (what I think) a serious bug.

So, it is a problem when akismet is not cheap and SK2 mod is not 100% working to find a good anti-spam plugin.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Talk to the SK2 author. Not much anyone else can do. SK2 works for the majority of users, and tailoring it to every single language out there would be a nightmare.

6. alexz
    Posted 16 years ago #

The problem is that it is two different coders, one for the original SK2 and one for the mu mod. I do not know how to contact pumpkinslayer, the modder. And I do not think that mu-SK2 is supported by the original coder.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, it would be something to take up with Dr. Dave. The "mu-version" is simply SK2 tweaked to be useful in an mu environment.

So if the original doesn't handle spam in other languages, you should take it up with Dr. Dave. Although the best I'd hope for would be an additional filter list, where you could type in additional words/phrases for it to hit on.

8. enseignement
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where do you install Bad Behavior ? In Mu-plugins ?

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by alexz
  • Latest reply from enseignement