The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with Akismet (3 posts)

1. mshao
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    I am runnign WPMU and trying to stop spam comments on my users' blog. After searching the forum, these were what I did:
    1. Download and upload the Akismet plugin file akismet.php into /mu-plugins directory.
    2. Login as admin. On the Dashboard page, it asked me to enter API key to activate the plugin.
    3. Since I have had an account at wordpress.com, I found the API key.
    4. Enter this key value through the MU admin Dashboard. It seems to work to the admin account.
    5. I thought it should take care of all the users' blogs.
    6. But when a user logins to his blog site, he gets the same message asking for the key. It means this user has to register wordpress.com to get a key.
    7. Is this the way supposing to work? Or there should be way to control from admin site?

Thanks

2. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

For using Akismet in wordpress mu, you need open the file with editor. find this line enter your api code:

// If you hardcode a WP.com API key here, all key config screens will be hidden
    $wpcom_api_key = '';

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Do note though that per Akismet's lisencing, your users are supposed to get their own key. Your single key is not for a sitewide installation like WPMu unless you have an Enterprise lisence for Akismet.

If Akismet catches you, they will invalidate your key.

About this Topic