The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A new approach to upgrading old versions of WPMu? (5 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

Earlier, I made the following post to this forum:

Help: I am upgrading a Pre Version 1, RC1 version of WPMu to the most recent release. I followed the instructions carefully, moving all the files in the wp-inst folder to the root directory and overwrote all but wp-cont and wp-config.php.

I am running the upgrade script, but I am getting the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/blogpeo1/public_html/wpmu-settings.php on line 72

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I did not receive a single reply, which tells me that either this has stumped the panel, or no one who knows anything bothered to read the forum today. Fine.

So, I went back to another post, in which moderator drmike suggested the following:

<b>blockquote>How many sites are in there? Do you have any custom code in there?

I'm tempted to suggest backing everything up, deleteing the old code, uploading the new code, and then running the upgrade script from within Site Admin.

At this point, because I have everything backed up, I am willing to try anything. So here's what I think it being suggested: remove the old files, unload the new files and install the new version of WPMu, and then install it like I was installing it for the first time. Or do I save and keep config.php

Correct? If so, do I tell the installation program to create a new data base? I'm assuming I'll still use the databases I already have for all my member blogs.

Additional questions: I notice that my current WPMu stores all member uploaded files in a blog.dir folder within wp-content. I'm assuming I restore those (along with the entire wp-content folder) after upload the installation.

Again, my thanks in advance for any direction.

2. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK. It's done. I ran the upgrade from within the site admin and all sites seem to be functioning.

Shoulda done this from the git-go ....

3. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not so fast: I'm getting the following error when I try to access the "presentation" page:

"Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /home/blogpeo1/public_html/wp-admin/admin-db.php on line 669"

4. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

Solved: I opened the file in Dreamweaver and changed the word "continue" to "return" and uploaded the new version. I worked fine.

I am having a hard time getting Widgets to work. I activate it on the Plug in Management screen and nothing changes. And yes, I am using Widget ready themes.

UPDATE: And that was fixed by going here and following this advice: Put the Sidebar Widgets plugin in the mu-plugin sub-directory. Also, the "widgets.php" file also must do directly into mu-plugins, not into mu-plugins/widgets -- a big difference. Once installed, the widget it automatically activated when a widget-ready theme is selected in the Presentation > Themes page.

5. billdennis5
    Posted 16 years ago #

It looks like this is becoming a "how I upgraded from Pre Version 1, RC 1 and lived to tell the tale" thread, I'll add some more details for those who might benefit from my experience.

I never could get Viper's Video Quick Tags to work. A shame, since I really liked the plugin. Sorry Viper.

So I followed the advice of many, and switched to Anarchy , which is very easy to use. The icon appears in the TinyMCE toolbar, I had to hit reload a couple of times.

This whole experience boosted my confidence with WPMu. Any question I had, I was able to find the answer, either through the forum or by trial and error on my part.

My advice:

1. Don't wait so damn long between upgades like I did.

2. Don't be afraid to upgrade, just back up, back up and backup. And set aside a day to be able to make sure you get it right.

3. Don't get snarky with the moderators.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from billdennis5