The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

New Blogs Not Created in SVN Rev 971 (8 posts)

1. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

I recently updated my test site to the SVN version 971 and now new blogs are not being created. Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

being a test site, multiple other changes are going on, but nothing in the arena of blog creation, or at least not intentionally :wink:

When a new blog is registered, the registration process goes on just fine... the site database entries all occur correctly... all the registration entries, etc create correctly... however, no new database tables wp_#_* specific to the new blog are being created...

no errors are being thrown throughout the process... if you try to go to the new blog that is supposed to be created domain/blogname/ an error message about trying to run install.php is shown - of course, not surprising since no blog specific database tables were created...

working my way through the dbDelta function that is supposed to create the new tables, but wow...

something is nagging at me that I missed something simple during the svn update...

any thoughts would be appreciated...

2. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

this is just odd... all the global stuff (blog id, signup, user, usermeta, etc) is created, but none of the blog specific tables are created...

its calling the blog creation routine with the correct info (id, wpdb prexfix swapped, etc), but the routine that creates the tables just isnt doing it... no errors either...

3. new-net
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just out of curiosity, what mysql version are you using ?

4. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

Its version 4.1.20

the more I dig, the more interesting it gets... issue right now is somewhere is in dbDelta() which includes upgrade_schema.php to create all the blog specific tables.

I have turned on all the debug message and show errors... the table creation appears to fail because the variable $wpdb is empty in the $wp_queries string... thus the tables are attempted to be created with blank names...

I know the $wpdb stuff is set correctly prior to the make_db_current_silent() call, so its something about when the $wp_queries variable is set up... I dont understand how this could be yet...

5. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

dang... getting closer, but this one is stubborn...

I have narrowed it down to wp-admin/upgrade-functions.php being included twice during the activation process... the first time, the $wpdb var is null so the upgrade_schema and no tables are created... the second time, the one that counts, is not used because of the require_once directive... trying to remove the once part results in a redeclaration error...

problem now is figuring out which function is including the upgrade functions (or upgrade-schema) the first time... for some reason, i havent been able to locate it...

6. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hooah!!! found it! there is a conflict between wpmu and the fine subscribe2 plugin...

not sure why, but the subscribe2 plugin uses the following check to see if it needs to install itself:

if(mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ".$this->public)==FALSE) { $this->install(); }

If you dont have any subscribers, the plugin attempts to install itself on every page, which causes the upgrade-functions() to be loaded which kills the attempted blog creation.

I modified the plugin check for installation to be:

if(!mysql_query("DESCRIBE ".$this->public)==FALSE) { $this->install(); }

which works for no subscribes and doesnt load the upgrade-function() and attempt to install on every page.

After this mod, blog creation works once again... will drop Mark a note on this...

7. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

oopss... lol..not mark's plugin...

8. usermrpapa
    Posted 16 years ago #

the plugin author has this slated for being fixed in next version.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by usermrpapa
  • Latest reply from usermrpapa