The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

subfolder installation help (5 posts)

1. brooklynmuseum
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'm interested in installing wordpress mu so that new blogs get created in subdirectories like '/blogs/new_blog' as opposed to 'new_blog.example.com'. i've searched all over this forum and even went so far as to read the readme file all the way through, but can't seem to find any documentation of how to do this. i've seen posts that refer to a 'subfolder installation' method, so it would seem that this is possible. any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

2. otrcomm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have the same question! I am on a testing server that is referenced by IP instead of domain name. When I setup wordpressmu, I selected the option to use subdirectories. However, when I go to create a blog, it does not create the subdirectory off the root directory and does not create additional tables in mysql. It does create a new entry in wp_blogs in mysql for the new blog, but nothing else.

Then if I go in as administrator and try to delete the new blog I created, I get error about not being able to reference the tables in mysql.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks,
    Murrah Boswell

3. saracup
    Posted 16 years ago #

I installed WPMU on our servers at the University. The domain is via a virtual host (http://technology.umw.edu) on the same Linux/Apache Web server with a couple of other umw.edu domains. I want to use WPMU as a CMS for technology documentation (don't argue with me about this -- no, I'm not switching to Drupal!). At any rate, I'm getting the 404 error when a new blog is created. Right now, I'm asking the server administrator to adjust the Apache config mod_rewrite per the ReadMe instructions. It says "In the <Directory> directive of your virtual host, look for this line "AllowOverride None" and change it to "AllowOverride FileInfo Options". Don't know if this is relevant, or if you've had success since your post above. If so, do tell!

4. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm running in subdirectory mode. My test server runs various virtual hosts and this is what the virtual host entry looks like :

<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
    ServerName myblogs.mydevdomain.com
    DocumentRoot /webstuff/myblogs
    DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on
    <directory /webstuff/myblogs>
    RewriteEngine on
    AllowOverride FileInfo Options all
    </Directory>

<directory /webstuff/myblogs/forums>
     options FollowSymlinks -Multiviews +ExecCGI
     order Deny,Allow