The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

cloning a blog (3 posts)

1. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

How would I go about cloning a blog setup for new blogs. It seems different aspects of this are touch on in the forums, but not completely. When I create a new blog, can I have the plugins actived, and the plugins settings already set, categories (global) created, user rights set, etc for the new blogs? Would it be possible to have more than one setup to choose from like, for example, beginner user, intermediate user, and advanced user?

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

can I have the plugins actived

Install the plugins into the mu-plugins subdirectory. If the plugin involves creating databases though, you;r going to have to hardcode the mysql commands into the blog creation portion of wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php probably.

the plugins settings already set

Set them within the portion i mention up above.

User rights would be created when a user is created. That's seperate from the blog creation. When a blog is created, the user creating the blog gets admin level access though.

Maybe if you were a bit more specific (and poked around with the software as i get teh impression you haven't), we could answer a bit better.

3. jalien
    Posted 16 years ago #

drmike, again thanks.

Sorry I was talking about plugins that don't work in the mu-plugins directory so have to be put in the plugins directory.

I am poking around the code, but since I am not much of a php programmer I have a hard time scanning for what I want. (By the way the PHP for Dummies you recommended is getting ordered this week. That should help.)

I wasn't sure which files were used with the creation of a new blog. upgrade-schema.php, and wpmu-functions.php had both come up in the formum, but I wasn't sure which if either would be involved in setting up non mu plugins. Again sorry for being vague, sometimes I'm not sure how to best explain things.

Since I am not letting the users (students) create their own blogs, is it possible to change the default user from admin to something else? Or alternatively if I edited the administrator role in upgrade-schema.php would this be an alternative? Would editing the administrator limit the rights that the site-admin would have in that blog?

I appreciate all your hard work helping me and others in these forums. Can I get you a small something (sorry limited funds) as a thank you?

About this Topic