The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

LDAP Plugin Revision Control? (8 posts)

1. seanwedig
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that there's some interest in the WPMU LDAP plugin (myself included). I've worked with the plugin a bit, trying to make it function for our needs (at a university). As a result, I've made some changes to the code (and a bit of re-organization / cleanup) and written some documentation. I plan to re-publish the code at WPMUDev.org once we're closer to our WPMU release.

I'm a firm believer in SCM processes and revision control, especially for collaborative development, so I'd love to check this LDAP Plugin code into a repository. After digging around for it, though, I did not find a location in which this was stored. I figure that it probably just doesn't exist, but I wanted to ask around first before I wrote it off / looked for a Revision Control solution myself.

So - does anyone know of a repository for the plugin? Any suggestions on a good host for it? I figured I might just use sourceforge, but I have not investigated it...

I'd be interested in working with anyone else that is interested in updating / cleaning up this plugin... feel free to drop me a line if you're interested.
    -sean
    http://www.thecodelife.net

EDIT: Modified to add the actual question, and a bit of clarity.

2. matthewsim
    Posted 16 years ago #

For anyone else finding this thread, here is the repository sean created:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wpmu-ldap/

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would think that a consolidated WPMU SVN repository for those that would want to use it would be a good idea.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's already one on the main WP site.

Granted, it's up to the individual author to choose to use it or not.

Really, SVN isn't the be all, end all, and I can't see how it has any relevance in this case.

5. seanwedig
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can see the relevance - it's nice to have a consolidated, open repository for revision control within a specific domain of code (in this case, WPMU themes, plugins, an' whatnot), and it's nice to be able to search / checkin against it. But you're right, luna; every author may or may not ultimately decide to use it.

In this case, having all the project info out in the open, SVN repository, Ticketing et al., was useful for a project that I only touch every month or two. Keeps me from losing / forgetting requests, and keeping code available for everyone. I think many WPMU plugins would benefit from a similar setup, but not everyone desires to work with that type of project management.

6. umdenken
    Posted 16 years ago #

Beautiful. Thanks for getting this set up. We also require this, for our college. I'm looking forward to helping out.

7. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think having a svn for education plugins would be a great idea. Maybe one I've even had myself :)

Richard

8. umdenken
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm! Sort of a meta-project; a set of plugins that education folks will probably want to use.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by seanwedig
  • Latest reply from umdenken