The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Email notification (11 posts)

1. caspertghost
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello, I have wordpress-mu-1.2.1 ,downloaded and installed on my server 2 days ago.

for the life of me I cannot get the email to work.
    I have searched this board
    only to find over 100 posts asking the same question with no answer
    many posts with the "mention" of a fix but no link to the fix or explanation on how the fix works.
    I am NOT the web host just the site host so I do NOT have acces to the server error log
    I am not the host so I do not have acces to any php.ini or httpdoc or any other software needed on the server.
    My email server requires authentication to send mail from my email client (outlook express)
    All I want is when a user signs into my site and they get the message "an email has been sent with your password" IS SENT...
    better yet make it so admin can opt out of email notification
    even better would be allow the user to set his/her own password at sign up...
    php bbs boards (phpbb.com) uses an email function when a user registers they can get an email, this does NOT require any smtp or code science to work.... can someone here find and fix this issue please.
    Thank you.

PS. I have installed many different "fixes" and none of them yet worked.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

The ISSUE is that your server requires outgoing SMTP authentication.

There are SMTP plugins that do this, as mentioned elsewhere in all the other threads.

That's the problem. The server, not MU.

That being the case, get the Coffee2Code SMTP plugin, hard code the options into the plugin towards the top, then put an if clause around the add_action call that adds the link to the options tab that checks for is_site_admin.

Actually, you can just comment out that line, as the options page is not needed since the values are hard coded.

If THAT doesn't work, then your host has more issues than you probably want to fight, and moving hosts would probably be a better option.

Media Temple's grid server would be a good place to start, but for anything over a few hundred blogs you'll want to get a dedicated box.

3. caspertghost
    Posted 16 years ago #

he he I figured you would be the first to post.
    I have read over 100 pages of posts on this very subject and in most if not ALL of the posts you have stated pretty close to the same thing.
    Here is the issue with your type of support.
    1: I know my server requires smtp auth. thats the problem BUT its in the code of MU
    2:Coffee2Code SMTP plugin does NOT exist (I have searched both here AND on google and it ONLY refrences these posts where it says "search"
    3: I downloaded 4 different plugins all saying the same thing and even hard coded it in there and it still did not work.
    4: moving hosts is not as easy as you may think, you may have a small site with a hundred or so users but our site is well over 10,000.
    so if your so sure this Coffee2Code SMTP plugin will work please for the love of all things good produce a link where it can be downloaded.

now with all of that said the final question in my post has not been answered. Why does this need smtp for emails, why not just use php's built in sendmail and leave the set up to the host?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Addressing my "issues", trying to help:

1) No, it's THE HOST. They require certain things, for which you have to adapt. MU gives you the tools, but it can't be everything to every one.

2) You obviously didn't search google. Sticking the following into google 'coffee2code smtp plugin' including the single quotes, brought up the third result right to their plugin.

3) Some plugins don't work with MU out of the box. You'll need to know HOW to make them work. If not, you'd better learn quickly.

4) Sorry, your majesty, and to your 10,000 users. Oh me, oh my.

So with all of THAT being said, I did answer your question. I just didn't spoon feed it. You'll be hard pressed to find hand holding from anyone here, really. I pointed you in the right direction, but instead you criticize me.

Gee, sorry I wasted my free time to try and help.

Moving hosts isn't easy? Really? No kidding? Wow, I'd never have thought that. <roll eyes>

You need to learn to work with your host. If you don't have the access to do something, they do. If you need information from somewhere, like logs, they should be happy to help you with it. If not, what does that say about their service/support?

MU doesn't need smtp for email. Your host REQUIRES it. You can set MU to use SMTP if need be, else it simply uses the standard mail function.

So, to further answer your last statement, it DOES. It's the HOST setting the requirement for SMTP.

5. caspertghost
    Posted 16 years ago #

We have buliten boards that require users email to register and NOT ONCE did we even code anything about smtp, so THIS is MU specific.

In MU is a code that requires smtp rather than the built in php sendmail function that comes with php.

I do appreciate your help but I still dont see a link to this no existant coffee2code pluggin. I even went so far as to shoot over to http://www.coffee2code.com and low and behold... NO PLUGIN THERE either.

So pleaser if you want to help then HELP dont badger or lecture me about a search function that directly links to google which then in turn re links back to this site refrencing all of the other "search" posts you have posted in.

A link if you can, otherwise please allow someone with a higher IQ to respond to this post as it is obvious you have no link and are just wasting my time.

moving over 3 gb of files, 1gb of db files, and putting 10,000 users on hold whuile I play with your code would cost me a fortune. I do this for a living, not a hobby.

Now obviously there is a problem here if over 100 posts refrencing the same problem and only from this site, dont you think so?

Its an MU code issue NOT a server issue, as I said boards require email activation and it dont use smtp.

6. caspertghost
    Posted 16 years ago #

the 3rd link from within google gave me this:
    Plugin: wpPHPMailer

hmmm wp yes php yes uesd mailer uhh huuu....
    where in that line does it say 'coffee2code smtp plugin'

it dont, this is one of the codes I already installed, hard coded the mail server name and still no mail...
    next contestant please.

7. caspertghost
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have wasted enough time on this site. I will recomend that we go with a different blog system, one that actually offfers support and not lectures about search it and find it yourself attitude from forum monkeys.

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gotta admit that when someone tells you the answer and you blow them off, it doesn't say much for you either.

MU is server software. That means you have the ability to use the tools in front of you. If you can't handle a simple web search, it doesn't say much for you.

Here's the search. It's the third hit down.

Gotta admit also that if you don't have access to your own error logs, you;re going to have issues trying to debug stuff further down the road anyway. I'd be moving hosts as well.

Sounds like you need to 1) learn some manners and 2) learn about hosting as it appears you don't have much of a clue.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Good luck. Although blaming free help, and the software for your shortcomings isn't a good thing. But hey, there's one in every crowd.

" hmmm wp yes php yes uesd mailer uhh huuu....
    where in that line does it say 'coffee2code smtp plugin' "

Let me see... the site is Coffee2Code.com, it's the mailer plugin that lets you use SMTP with authentication... Gee, sounds like it to me, and, for the record, it DOES work.

... Banana break ...

Eeek eeek...

Ok, I'm back now. I use that plugin, modified as I described, in mu-plugins, and wow... mail.

Darn, my banana supply is getting low. Any other monkeys have one to spare?

<roll eyes>

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

(Thanks for grabbing my back, Doc.)

Can't say I was right, exactly, to be so blunt, but it sure is getting frustrating lately.

Eeek eek!

11. mbishop
    Posted 16 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by caspertghost
  • Latest reply from mbishop