The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Display all authors and their "Your Profile" on one page? (34 posts)

1. anth0ny
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is it possible to display all the authors and their profile that they have entered on one page? I've taken a look inside the codex and see how to display the information for one author at a time but not all.

Anybody ever succeed in doing this?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

All authors for the entire MU site, or per blog?

Either is "technically" possible, but I would think if it was for the overall MU install, it would get to be quite resource intensive without proper caching of the data.

For an individual blog, you could create a page template, run the necessary query or queries, and output in a manner matching the theme.

Then a user could select that template when making a page, not need to input any content, and then make the title/slug whatever they'd like.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

For an indiviudal blog or for site wide?

4. wildebees
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am also interested in this, a list of authors, with the optio to link to a profile template page - on *a site wide level*. Has it be done?

lunabyte says "if it was for the overall MU install, it would get to be quite resource intensive without proper caching of the data."

Why would this be more resource intensive than say getting a side wide list of latest posts or a list of all the blogs on a MU install?

5. wildebees
    Posted 15 years ago #

The closest thing I have found is this on the author template, see the last function, but that's for one blog.

* List all the authors of the blog, with several options available.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/author-template.php

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

This thread is over a year old. Did anyone search anywhere else? Perhaps to find mention of BuddyPress?

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea, didn't you do a tutorial on something like that?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, on the list all blogs - which could probably be easily modified to list all users.

9. wildebees
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Andrea, Could you post a link to this tutorial? As I understand it, Buddypress will have only one author per blog?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

BP has one author per blog yeah, but you still have one database with a bunch of users to pull from.

The tutorial I did was here:
    http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/making-a-member-list-blog-directory/

Modify it to pull users instead. (probably tweaking the list-all plugin part.)

11. indojepang
    Posted 15 years ago #

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

indojepang, I believe your post will only work for the individual blogs. The posters are asking about a site wide solution.

13. indojepang
    Posted 15 years ago #

ups sorry.. :)

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not a problem.

15. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all. I just want to display author's (blog owner's) Biographical Info in the sidebar... for every new blog created. Possible?

Thanks in advance

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, with a couple plugins.

First, how are you collecting their bios?

17. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

We are talking about folks (programmers, designers,...) that I'm representing. No more than 10 people. I don't mind placing their Biographical Info manually inside Authors&Users. Of course, they can also do it by themselves. Right now I'm using specially designed text widget to display their Biographical Info (at the top of the sidebar: http://zets.boonika.net/)but the problem is that I have to create it for every new blog/profile. So that could be a problem for me in future if more and more people would want to participate.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, i was wondering if you were collecting it on signup. you can also use the "about me" field in their profile. that way they can set it up themselves.

There's an author profile widget out there that does just that. It comes with an avatar plugin.
    http://suleiman.hadithuna.com/wpmu-avatar-pack-release/

You could study the code and rip out the bits you want.

19. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well that's exactly what I did before I wrote my first post but without any luck. But the solution is there so I'll just have to try harder. Thanks Andrea. You always do your best to help others. That's nice:)

20. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea

Still no luck... btw, you said "Ah, i was wondering if you were collecting it on signup". You've managed to modify signup page like that?

Cheers

21. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

This, kind of, solved my problem:

About: <?php the_author_description(); ?>

But it works only if blog owner is author of all posts. If I (as top admin) for some reason write some post than my the_author_description will be displayed in desired location (sidebar in this case.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"You've managed to modify signup page like that?"

Yep. Well, Ron did the heavy lifting... Dunno if we're releasing it or when.

23. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well at least it's nice to know that it's possible:)

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

As a few of us are fond of saying - "It's php, just abut anything is possible" :D

If I run across it again and see something I can give ya, I'll let you know.

25. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah:)... it should be set as default 'reply' option on this forums. Cheers.

26. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Got an email? I hunted down your contact form, lemme know if you got it.

27. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Got it. Hope you've received my reply. Thanks a lot.

Cheers

28. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

Hmmm two days ago huh, hope I'm not too late and Boonika will step in again ! I have the same problem. Deleted all admin posts on the blog, but the plugin seems to be stuck on the very first text and photo I inserted. Can't get my user to have his picture (which is uploaded) nor his description appear in the sidebar... This is really, hum, disppointing ! Anyone has an idea or an option to have an About me in the sidebar with uploadable picture for the users, that does not remain stuck on admin ? Thanx !

29. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Anyone has an idea or an option to have an About me in the sidebar with uploadable picture for the users, that does not remain stuck on admin ?"

Yeah this http://suleiman.hadithuna.com/wpmu-avatar-pack-release/

I know it works, used it on a few sites, but haven't tried it on the latest build.

30. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi !

Thanks for your answer !
    It's exactly what I'm using...and which remains stuck on the admin picture... so I guess I'll have to look for something else! Thankx for any ideaz !

Diane

About this Topic